It's Like, Damn, Why You Gotta Be So Cold in the Summertime?

Start from the beginning

Most of the time, it was this low point in which she brought herself out of her room, wrapped in a cocoon of her blanket, and paint the nonsense. Flowers with faces, rabbits with pocket watches. They were all so beautiful and so unique she always sold them for decent prices.

I had tried suggesting she go to therapy. I had tried checking her in myself into a treatment center. Nothing worked. And I was so afraid of losing time with her. She may be sick, she may have a harder time in life and never leave the house, but she was my only relation who actually cared about my well-being. Even in her darkest days, she always came and tucked me into bed. I couldn't abandon her to some brick room with strangers. So I was committed to her care for the rest of my life, if need be.

Ellen left my side and curled into her fluffy black blanket. I dimmed the lights and turned on the white noise music in the corner of the room. She surrounded herself with the soft things. I used to worry about her obsession with soft items, worrying it made her think of the rabbit she always talked about. But it seemed to be comforting to her, relaxing. And whatever could relax my aunt was good enough for me.

I went back to my room, turning off lights and locking the doors as I went. I turned on the stereo quietly in my room and laid on my bed, closing my eyes and listening to the strains and flows.

"Welcome to Wonderland, look where you're at,Maddest of Hatters, the Cheshire Cat,Magical cabins and lovely white rabbits with clocks.Dancing to a dream,Underneath the stars.Laughing til the morning comes.Everyone that leaves has a heavy heart,Oh, Wonderland, I love."

Welcome to Wonderland, Anson Seabra

♥♦♣♠~♥♦♣♠

It didn't take long to get registered for my college classes. I even convinced Ellen to join an art class with me once a week. It was a spur of the moment decision, but I was thrilled she agreed to sign up with me. It was something she loved, and it was something she could teach me to be better at. She could relate to the teachers and other students. It was something to get her out of the house.

Reggie finally told his parents that he was planning on not living with them while he attended school. His mother had cried. His father had been angry, but had understood. And ever since then he'd spent every moment he could with us. He'd started working at a local grocery store and got me a job at an auto parts store next to it. Which was awesome, I got a discount on the parts and things in there. And I enjoyed the looks on my male coworkers' faces when I knew the answers to questions from customers better than they did.

Things had been pretty good for a few weeks. Ellen hadn't had as many bad days lately. She buried herself in her art and surrounded herself with beauty and colors. Life was going just as well as I could expect as a new adult. I was working my first full time job, I was starting my college education, I was spending time with my best friend and my aunt. It was all great.

There was even a day that a little old lady came into the shop looking for help with her car. She was a sweetheart and I instantly volunteered to help, worrying that my male coworkers would be too intimidating. I hurried to her side and helped her find the headlight she was looking for and even volunteered to install it for her. While I was doing that she told me all about her life story and what she was dealing with at the moment, as little old ladies tend to do. She told me this was the first year she hadn't been surrounded by family. She didn't blame them, things just got busy when the summer ended. I told her I absolutely understood that. When she talked about needing her lawn mowed one last time and having to see if there was a neighbor boy nearby who would be available, I told her not to worry about that and that I had a friend who could come help me do that for her. She told me it was too much, but I insisted. So, within five minutes of changing her lights in her car she gave me her phone number and address and we'd set a date.