"Maybe," I said, grabbing my PDM off of the counter.

"I have arrived," I heard Carson call from the hallway.

"Why would we give him a house key?" Zoe asked me, rolling her eyes.

"Where's my Kindergartener?" Carson asked, coming into view. He was carrying a present.

"Uncle Carson!" Parker called, jumping off of his seat. He ran into Carson's arms.

"Thank you for that," Zoe said. "After we had him actually sitting and eating."

"He has plenty of time to eat," Carson said, leading Parker back to the table. Parker sat back down and took a bite of his pancake.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, shaking my head at him.

"I had to see my Kindergartener before his big day," Carson said, placing the present on the counter.

Zoe handed Carson a pancake. "Sit and eat so Parker will too."

Carson did as he was asked, and I plugged in the information, waiting for my blood sugar.

"Have you talked to Sara and Ethan lately?" I asked, as Sheila beeped with information.

"Not since they left for Germany," Carson answered. "They'll be over there for three months."

"Yeah, I know. I was just curious if they were enjoying it." I said.

Sheila showed me a 139.

Pleased, I accepted the pancake Zoe offered me.

"What about Cody and Haley?" Zoe asked.

"She still hasn't moved back in," Carson said, with a shrug.

"Such a shame," Zoe said, with a sigh.

"Well maybe if he wasn't such a poop head, she wouldn't have to move out," I said, casting a look at Parker. He was too busy making airplane noises with his food to notice our conversation.

"Poop head?" Carson asked.

"Language control," Zoe interjected. "We have a five year old. He doesn't need to live in a hostile environment."

"Right," Carson said.

"Not that you would know anything about that," I said.

"I enjoy being a bachelor."

"You've convinced yourself of that," Zoe said, rolling her eyes. "I'd bet if you'd just call Mary Beth back, she'd-"

"Being a bachelor is the life I was made to live," Carson said. "And that's how I plan on living."

"You and Joseph both," I said, rolling my eyes.

"Parker," Zoe said. "Finish your breakfast so you can ready honey."

He nodded and resumed eating instead of playing with his food.

"Chase still living with mom and dad?" I asked.

"He'll never leave," Carson answered. "They babied him way too much as a child."

"Agreed."

We all fell into silence, Zoe bowing her head. The last brother we never talk about, the one we pretend never existed.

"I haven't heard anything," Carson said, quietly.

I shook my head. "Not a word."

"Dad flew out to Mexico last month," Carson said. "Searched again."

"He'll never find him," I said, finishing off my pancake. "He doesn't want to be found."

James had taken off the minute he graduated high school. He'd run off one night, and no one had heard from him since.

Joseph had taken it the hardest, But if Joseph knew anything, he never broke. He remained stone-faced whenever the subject was brought up, and would excuse himself from the room.

"Such a shame," Zoe said, softly. "He was so beautiful, so talented."

"When you grow up with mommy issues, it's hard to overcome," Carson said, standing up. "James took it the hardest, definitely."

James had received the most attention from mom, her project. But once he started losing interest in art, feeling pressured to be perfect, she began to drift from him. He'd tried everything to get him back. He even picked up art again, although he'd grown to loathe it. But none of it had worked. She could tell his heart wasn't in it.

"Ready to get ready?" Zoe asked Parker, excitedly.

He nodded and shot out of the kitchen. Zoe trailed after him, humming to herself.

"I always knew one of us would turn out screwed over," Carson said. "But I never thought it would be James."

"You think he's still alive?" I asked.

"Yeah. I jsut think he doesn't want to be found."

"Daddy!" Parker screeched from upstairs.

"What?" I called back.

"You have to put on my shoes! Mommy doesn't do it right."

I chuckled. "Clean up the kitchen," I called over my shoulder to Carson.

"As long as you keep feeding me," he called after me.

I went upstairs and helped Parker into his light up, Velcro shoes. He happily danced around the room, stomping to be sure his shoes would light up.

"He's just like you," Zoe said, as I pulled my arm around her, pulling her in close.

"Why do you say that?" I asked, kissing the top of her head.

"He's full of energy, full of life. Mark my words, one day he'll be the great Parker Walker."

I crouched down so I was eye-level with her pregnant belly. "And she'll be the great Madeline Walker."

THE END