Christmas (2/3)

Finally, movements from upstairs. They are awake.
Richie grabbed his stocking and ran upstairs. Apparently Nicole had been awake for an hour as well, waiting for him to wake up. Despite it, he tried to remain happy.

They sat down at the floor in the living room and started to rip the paper apart revealing the gifts inside.
A pair of socks, new shoes and a flashlight. The socks would normally be the thing he appreciated the least but these ones were white with red striped and the top. Same kind of socks as Eddie has.

It made him very happy to have the same pair but it also made him sad because once again he came to the realisation they wouldn't be able to meet during Christmas. And probably no Christmas ever. Maybe when they get older and move away from their parents, if Eddie ever does. Sonia wouldn't let him. It would take a lot of him to be able to convince her to let him and he wouldn't be able to. He's too scared but Richie understands him. Sonia can be really scary sometimes.

"Put on your tie! We're leaving in a minute!" His mother yelled at him. He didn't want to but he knew he didn't have a choice.
The tie was hanging on his chair, just like the suit. Maggie, his mom, had put it there the day before to make sure he would find it and not manage to make it wrinkled.
Still, after all those years, he hadn't learned to tie it and needed his father's help.

Once they were all ready they walked out and drove away to the other side of town. On their way to church they passed the Kaspbraks and Richie couldn't help himself to think about his friend once again. They were probably all alone, Eddie and Sonia. No one to celebrate with. Nothing to do since Sonia is too scared to leave the house. Especially now when everyone has the flu.

This meant Eddie had to sit at home with his stupid mother, watching some stupid movie and opening presents filled with pills, bandages and asthma sprays. If Richie would give him a present it would never be any of those things. But he wouldn't give Eddie a present so this was going to be the only things he got for Christmas just like every other year.

"Come on, Richie, we don't have all day."
They were just about to walk into church but Richie didn't want to leave the car. He didn't want to go inside. If he did he would be stuck there for over an hour, listening to stupid people singing stupid songs thinking it would help them in any way. Save them from this hell and give them peace.

Bullshit. There is no heaven. There is no God. If there were, people like himself, Eddie, Stan and Bill, losers- they wouldn't get treated the way they are. Richie refuses to believe in anything good when everything in life sucks.

"Richie..." his father started to get annoyed with his behaviour.

Then he did it. Something he never thought he would have the guts to. He stepped out of the car and started to run. As fast as he could. Kept running even though his parents yelled at him begging, demanding him to stay. He ran and didn't stop until he was outside his house.