Chapter Seven: Portals

Elizabeth's and Chase's gaze locked as their eyes shone bright. She continued to revel in his aura. They were enclosed by a whirl of glimmering gold and Elizabeth felt her stomach lurch as they were transported through one of the Oak trees. Elizabeth's grasp on Chase's arm tightened as she brought her left arm and wrapped it around, securing her grip on him. They twisted and turned through the shimmering air.

Oh shit... Elizabeth felt her stomach churn and dry heaved. Travel sickness was something she had on long journeys and she silently prayed that she wouldn't spew all over Chase and herself.

The gold glimmer left Elizabeth's sight and their bodies rolled on the cold, hard, stone floor. Chase broke Elizabeth's fall as she landed on top of his solid body. She untangled her arms from his and stood up, a dusting of pink settling on her cheeks.

"What was that?" Daisy breathed, running her hand over her forehead, removing the sweat that had began to form.

"A portal. Who's the girl? She looks-" A short chubby child began but was quickly interrupted by Chase swooping up the young boy in his arms.

"I'd watch what you say Cammy," Chase warned as the young boy squirmed in his arms, protesting about being off the floor. "This is Elizabeth, Edith's great niece,"

"I'm Cameron, you can call me Cam," he smiled a toothless smile at Elizabet. She waved at the young boy who was now comfortably lounging in Chase's arms. "Did you bring any of Edie's cookies?"

"Edith's cookies," Chase corrected Cameron. Elizabeth observed the interactions between the boys and their likeness to each other. She wondered if they were related, but it wasn't her place to ask questions about his family life.

"No, but next time I'll make sure to bring some of her cookies. I might even bake some cupcakes," Elizabeth said, the smile on Cameron's face was priceless as he nodded his head eagerly.

Chase settled the boy back down on his feet and ruffled his blonde hair. He waved at Elizabeth and ran out of the room. A wishful smile lingered on Elizabeth's lips. Chase noticed the smile on Elizabeth's face and wondered what she was thinking. He reached out and gingerly touched the top of her arm.

"Ow," Elizabeth gasped, taking a step back from him.

"Are you hurt?" He questioned, cocking an eye at the girl who was completely different to who he first met. She seemed stronger and more headstrong.

"I had this dream-"

"Let me see," she started to pull off her leather jacket, but he shook his head. "Not here," he said taking her uninjured arm and dragged her out of the large stone room they were in.

Elizabeth soaked up the décor of the Foundation, or the design as Chase dragged her hurriedly down the corridors. She couldn't help but stare at the exposed grey stone walls and the candlesticks that lined the walls. It was the first time that she had ever been so close to someone who made her feel uneasy. Usually, her intuition would keep her away from people inside and outside of school, except for Hannah.

Hannah... She has no idea what's been going on... Or she does and I haven't responded...

Her eyes started to water as she thought of her best friend who she hadn't spoke to for over three weeks. She lifter her free arm and wiped the tears that threatened to fall. Chase noticed the change in Elizabeth's pace and let go of her arm.

"What's up? I didn't hurt you," Chase said as he lifted up the small stone in front of the door they were stood outside.

She watched the stone and door intently. The engraving, a circle within a circle with a triangle on top, glowed gold as did the lock on the door. The door clicked and Chase pushed it open. He moved his hand from left to right, signalling Elizabeth to enter the room. She cautiously looked down the corridors and noticed there was no one around. She cautiously stepped into the room that she assumed was Chase's own.