Chapter 3: Way to Go, Erica!

The next day...

Melvin was walking down the hallways to get to his first class. He stopped walking when he saw Mr. Rected, Ms. Ribble, and little baby Mr. Gibson talking to each other.

"You heard 'bout Erica?" Mr. Rected said.

Mr. Gibson put his thumb up. He indeed heard about Erica. "Air ka!" he said.

"As a fellow member of the community, I 100% support her and I will kill people who don't," Ms. Ribble said.

At that point, anything else the three teachers said was just "Erica." Because that was the only word Melvin could hear. Everyone was saying Erica, and he doesn't know why.

"WHY IS EVERYONE SAYING ERICA?!" Melvin shouted. Fortunately, George and Harold showed up just in time.

"Hey, MelVIN!!!" George greeted.

"Yeah, Erica showed up for a while yesterday," Harold said. "That's why everyone's saying her name."

"I MISSED Erica?!" Melvin screamed.

"If it makes you feel any better, me and George almost missed her," Harold said.

"I don't know why I'm about to ask you this since you never go outside, but where were you yesterday?" George asked.

"I...was spending time with my mother yesterday," Melvin said. "I was helping her picking out the best dress for her date with Father."

"I wish I was picking out dresses..." Harold mumbled.

"Oh, sorry, sorry," Melvin said. "I would've invited you, but I assumed you care about being with George more. Now...where was I? OH, ERICA! SHE'S GONE! Now she'll never be my special lab partner!"

George and Harold looked at each other. They knew what "special lab partner" was an euphemism for, and they had to explain the truth to Melvin immediately.

"Melvin, buddy, Erica never liked you," Harold said.

"In fact...Erica never like-liked boys in general, either," George said.

Melvin, despite having an IQ higher than everyone in the school, didn't understand George and Harold's explanation. The boys now had to be as subtle as they could.

"MELVIN, ERICA'S LESBIAN!" George and Harold shouted. NOW Melvin had it clear.

"Lesbians!" Dressy sang as soon as she heard George and Harold shout at Melvin.

Jessica wanted to say something, too. "We, Jessica Gordon and the Sophies, say lesbian rights!" she said. "Sophies, your flags!" Sophie One and Other Sophie twirled their lesbian flags in delight.

"I, Melvin Sneedly," Melvin started to say, "also support l-l-les-lesbian r-r-" He started to stutter incoherently.

"You okay, Mel?" George asked. In the blink of an eye, Melvin turned from a stuttering mess to a FROZEN stuttering mess. Yeah, Melvin literally turned into stone.

"-ights..." Melvin said in his frozen state. He finished his entire sentence, but...he's stone. Fortunately, Cindy Sneedly came to pick him up.

"Aww...not again," Cindy mumbled as she picked up her frozen son. "At least you're marble. Your father loves marble. Hehehe."

"WAIT," George realized, "has this happened more than once-"

"Melvin'll see you tomorrow, boys!" Cindy waved. Melvin was gone, leaving George and Harold on their own to talk.

"So...Melvin," George said. "You have any idea about what could be bothering him, buddy?"

"Well, he can't be mad about Erica's sexuality," Harold said. "As a fellow homosexual, I can tell if people are supportive of lesbian rights and other rights. And Melvin 100% supports her. So it's something else."

"And the something else is?" George asked.

"Dunno," Harold said.

"Okay...umm, even if we don't know what's troubling Melvin, we can still help him feel better! After school, meet up at our treehouse and we'll plan everything."

"And we'll finish that comic we forgot about."

"What comic?"