Chapter 9: So, Did It All Work Out?

The next day...

It was another morning at Jerome Horwitz, and the school day has yet to start. So the kids did their things. Erica was also there, doing her daily visit. She hated the school, but loved 99% of the kids attending it. Guess who was part of the 1% she didn't like so much?

"Umm...hi, Erica," Melvin said, walking up to Erica as calmly as he can. "How are you?"

"Good," Erica said, right before realizing what she just spoke out of her mouth. "Wait, wait, if you have yet another invention that will magically solve my problems, then just leave."

"I don't," Melvin said. "In fact, all I brought...was...an apology. I'm sorry for being a bother to you."

"You're...finally apologizing?" Erica said in shock. "I need a camera for this." Dante, Erica's personal servant, gladly gave her one. "Okay, continue talking, and really say why you were wrong all this time."

"OKAY! FINE!" Melvin cried. "Ever since I met you, all I've been doing is obsessing over you without having an actual conversation with you! Every time I make an invention to win you over, it ends in chaos...until a certain superhero saves us."

"That only happened once with Messica Gorgon, though," Erica said.

"Yes, but there was a second time it ended in chaos, and that was yesterday. I'm sorry for ever showing you that...whatever I made. I just can't force you to make everyone accept you in a snap!" Melvin snapped his fingers, but nothing phenomenal happened. Good.

"You finally realized it, Mel. Finally."

There was a brief silence.

"You know, I haven't told my parents that I'm a lesbian yet, and knowing them, they won't be happy if I do. I'll just wait until the time is right. I want my parents' approval to be genuine, not artificial, like that dumb invention you made...whatever it was called."

The Bow Down to Me or Else 2000. Does anyone actually remember Melvin's inventions?

"I can relate to your situation. I know that my father for sure isn't too happy about me identifying as a t-t-tr- UMM...not ready to say it just yet."

There was more silence.

"Okay, school is about to start soon, and you should be heading to Eliteanati," Melvin said awkwardly. He wanted the conversation to end as soon as possible.

There was even MORE silence. Erica knew what Melvin wanted...

...so the unthinkable happened. Melvin Sneedly and Erica Wang HUGGED. Remember how shocked Melvin was when George and Harold invited him for sneak-or-snacking? Well, he was more shocked here.

"You're cool...chump," Erica said. Melvin gasped, assuming that Erica insulted him. "No, you're a friend chump, not an enemy chump."

Melvin sighed in relief, while internally screaming. "It was nice making your acquaintance, but I really have to go to school," he said. "We're having another Invention Convention today, and my Binder Binder BINDER...2000...is definitely taking home the MONAY!"

"Wait. This crummy school is having an Invention Convention without me?!" Erica screamed. "That's it. I'm entering with my new Lesbam. I would tell you what it is, but I'm not spoiling future stories."

"You're on! A rival to finally match my intellect!" Melvin declared, glaring at Erica. As the two left to their respective schools, they kept staring each other on.

George, Harold, and their friends, who had just watched the whole conversation, had a lot of feelings about the scene they just watched.

"Oh, no, they're RIVALS now!" Stanley whined. "Melvin trying to be superior to Erica may be even worse than him CRUSHING on her!" Just thinking of that made Stanley sweat even more.

"Rivals! RIVALS!" Dressy sung. "Seriously, their rivalry is going to kill us."

Everyone except the two boys left in fear of their lives.

"Okay..." George said. "At least we won't have to worry about Melvin blasting anyone with cellular mitosis videos to win Erica's love."

"Or videos about nuclear rods misaligning," Harold said.

"OR VIDEOS OF ROTTING FRUIT!" George and Harold laughed.

"Melvin's bad taste of humor aside, all of our worries, at least until the next story, are over," George said. "And who do we have to thank for it?"

"The author of the story, Kookie, real name unknown?" Harold guessed.

"Yes, Kookie is awesome, but that wasn't my answer," George said. "It's Captain Underpants, for talking to Melvin in the first place."

The two friends looked at the sun (not directly at it) and remembered their friend.

"Tra-la-LAAAAA!" they heard.

"It's like you can hear him," Harold said.

"Yeah, 'cause I'm here!" Captain Underpants said. George and Harold screamed upon seeing him.

"WHO. KEEPS. SUMMONING. YOU?!" George shouted.

"We should get a dog," Captain Underpants said, ignoring George's question. He grabbed the boys and began to fly to the nearest pet store. "We should call the dog Bo!"

"We already have a friend named Bo," George said.

"Hmm...maybe Dressy?" Captain Underpants asked.

"Already have a friend named Dressy, too," Harold said.

"Sophie?"

George and Harold were about to say "no," but they didn't.

"You know what? A third Sophie wouldn't hurt anyone," George said. "In fact, let's keep Sophie the Third away from Jessica at all costs."

The three heroes celebrated their adoption of the dog. Also, they celebrated the making of a new friendship/rivalry. Once again, there will be no "Oh no's!" or "Here we go again's!" from George and Harold, so this would have to be THE END!

Copyright 2019 Kasi Kompany. Cover was made by myself. Thank you for reading!