Chapter Nine

Depuis le début

"Well, I would have to finish the rest of my chores first..." Ro admitted shyly.

"Of course! I tell you what, if you could meet me in my room when the bells strike six, I will lend you a dress and we can get ready together! Please do not be late though as my parents hate tardiness."

"Of course your high... I mean Annalise." Ro smiled elatedly, secretly excited for the prospect of seeing Theodosius again that evening.

***

What Ro did not expect though was to be blindsided with the presence of Lady Evangeline. She had not been able to complete all of her chores before the clocks struck, meaning she was going to have a late night that evening. Sighing she wiped the sweat from her forehead and raced towards the Princesses room on the fourth floor. Ro was embarrassed when Annalise had picked out a stunning dress for her and the maids were expected to help her get ready. They were two sweet girls – Dottie and Helene who Ro had seen around the castle, and she was horrified that they now had to dress her like a Princess when she was only a maid. She hoped that they would not spread it around the castle or any problems would occur because of her special treatment.

The dress was incredibly beautiful though, a sweet peacock blue with golden embroidery that emphasised her curves in a way that had never been done before. As she gazed upon her completed reflection, with her golden hair pinned up and decorated with blue and white flowers freshly picked from the meadow, and a little powder brushed upon her skin, she felt like a woman. Her red lips and healthy, glowing skin surprised her – she had certainly changed since Theo had saved her. She was becoming a healthy weight, her bones less visible and a warm glow seemed to radiate from within, making her look much more appealing then before.

Annalise also looked beautiful in a dark red frock with actual rubies sewn into the design. Ro thought that she would be the centre of attention considering the golden necklace draped around her neck, which was decorated with sparkling rubies that dipped into her prominent cleavage, and the dazzling tiara also decorated with the blood-red gems and blinding diamonds. Annalise informed Ro that a certain Lord Timotus was going to be in attendance that night, and she wanted to capture his attention. Ro was not sure if cleavage and a seductive manner would be the best way to do it, but she did not say anything considering she was a Princess and older then her at nineteen summers.

They were the last to arrive into the dining room, with a high, carved ceiling and ancient portraits of the ancestors of the Royal family lining the golden walls. A large diamond chandelier hung in the centre of the table, twinkling in the low candle light. Along the immaculately carved oak table were officials of state and a few Lords and Ladies, each dressed impeccably and trying to out do each other with their heavy attention-grabbing finery.

When Theo first noticed his sister, he disapproved of her outfit, it being far too revealing for something his baby sister should be wearing, but he soon forgot all about her when he noticed the angel wandering in unsurely behind her. She was quite simply stunning. Although she was blushing and looked quite uncomfortable, she was beautiful. Surprisingly she was not dressed that provocatively, but the innocent glow around her and her natural beauty entranced him. It was not only Theo who was captivated by her though; most of the table were now quiet wondering who the angel was. Theo could hardly believe his eyes when Anna directed the woman to sit opposite to him, (where the Princess rightfully sat) whilst Anna sat next to her a place down. This meant that the angel was now technically higher ranking then the Princess, but Theo realised Anna only did this so that she could sit next to Lord Timotus. Theo's eyes grew as wide as the golden plate in front of him when he realised that the angel was in fact Ro. She looked... amazing. He had been foolishly trying to stay away from her, trying to forget she even existed, but how was he supposed to do that when she sat in front of him looking like that? Especially with that beautiful smile that he would do anything to be the recipient of.

"And who might you be?" Evangeline asked rudely from beside him.

He tried not to roll his eyes at her jealousy. She was no match compared to Ro. Theo could not stand the girl, even though his mother was trying to push him into marrying her. He could not think of a worse match for him.

"It is me Lady Evangeline, Ro." She said timidly, and Theo wanted to do anything he could to comfort and reassure her.

'Lady?' Theo snorted in his mind. Evangeline's parents had a title, not her, but she was so desperate for one she kept trying to manipulate herself into his affections. It was not going to work.

"Ro? What kind of name is that? I do not know anyone called 'Ro'." She replied haughtily.

Theo internally prayed that Ro would not reveal her occupation to the insufferable woman, as most of the table were listening in with interest. Although he loved seeing Ro and she certainly looked as though she belonged there, the truth was she did not and it was short-sighted of Annalise to bring her along.

"It is me... your erm... maid." Ro disclosed embarrassedly, causing a few resounding gasps around the table. The dramatic Lady Fitzborough looked like she was about to feint.

"Annalise, what is the meaning of this?" My mother asked in a hushed tone.

"Ro is my friend mother, Theo and I wanted her here." Annalise replied indignantly.

Theo glared at his sister, he had not been home long and already she was dragging him in on her messes.

"A maid? Why is a maid dining at the King's table?" Evangeline asked in mock outrage.

She just loved to cause trouble whilst acting all innocent - she was as slimy as a bog.

Ro looked mightily uncomfortably underneath the sneering glances of the upper class, and Theo could not hold his tongue any longer.

"She is here because we want her here. If anyone has a problem with that, then you may leave. And Ro, you look incredible." Theo announced, silencing the rude guests and causing Ro to smile warmly at him, which he could not help but return.

"Well spoken Theodosius. Ro is a friend of the family, although I would suggest in future she only dines with us during private meals." The King declared, making Theodosius, Annalise and Ro sigh, feeling relieved.

The King was right, a maid was not supposed to dine with the Royal family, no matter the circumstances.

Still, Ro could not bring herself to be bothered at that moment, as when Theo smiled at her all she could see and cared about was he.

Edited