Chapter 6

My bow holds firmly in my hands as I aim it towards a deer I've been tracking for what seems like eight miles. I narrow my eyes and slowly pull down on the trigger, exhaling lightly as I do. The arrow penetrates the deers' head and it goes down.
"Clear shot, Bella." Dad tells me, nodding. I walk over to it, smiling. The happiness soon fades as I see the horrific bite mark all down it's right shoulder.
I kick the now worthless carcass and frown.
"Son of a bitch!" I all but yell, ripping my arrow out of the diseased animal. Dad looks puzzled, but he knows why I'm angered when I try to shout bitten as quietly as possible. He puts his arm around my shoulder and steers me away.
"We still got loads a' squirrels." He reminds me, nudging my side. Sighing, I nod.
"I guess."
"What's up?" He asks, stopping me and putting his hands on my shoulders.
"Aside from the cannibalistic dead people? Sheriffs' son." He tries not to smile as we start walking again. "Dad, I'm pretty sure Carl hates me."
"He don't, Bella. Trust me." I'm about to speak again when I hear a moan from behind us. Before my dad even has a chance to look, I've spun around, whipping an arrow into my crossbow and letting it fly into the head of the walker coming towards us. He looks at me, completely and utter shocked. I grab my arrow and walk off, leaving my dad trailing behind me on our way back
It takes us a few minuets to reach the prison again. Dad stopped me and asked how I did that and I just shrugged, passing it off as reflexes. Which, it is. Minus the fact that I've had way too much practice killing those assholes. With no group, I had no time to slack off. Each kill was my kill. that's just the way it is. Even... even humans. Anyway, we enter the consistently metallic smelling prison and Carl glares at me.
"Well, you took your damn time." He scolds. I glare at him.
"And you can fuck right off!" I say in a fake cheerful way. The kind of way cheerleaders talk. I start to walk off when he stops me..
"Where are you going?"
"I'm fuckin' exhausted, you asshole. We've been huntin' since like five this mornin', and I only got an hours sleep. I'm going to bed." I walk off, and when Carl thinks im out of sight, he mumbles one thing.
"Mouthy bitch."