Chapter 19

"Uncle Merle." I whisper. He zips around.
"Bella?" He gasps, running toward me and pulling me into the most painful hug I've ever received. He's digging a knife into my back.
"Stop, you're hurting me!" I shriek, feeling the warm liquid drip down my back; saturating my shirt. Merle pulls away quickly, cursing when he sees the blood on his hand.
Wait.
What hand?
No, I'm not insane yet. He doesn't have a hand anymore. Unlike the last time I saw him, it's an extension with a knife attached to it.
What the fuck?

A groan rises from my throat, but I refuse to let it surpass. My eyes stay trained on the blade, streaked with a generous amount of his nieces blood. He doesn't apologise.
Instead, he says this: "Cool, huh? Happened a month after you ran away like the spoilt brat you are." He's clearly done with the short family reunion that I never wanted to have.
"Fuck you. It's your fault I left." My pale hand reaches for my bow, which I've become a hell of a lot better at using. Quickly, I remember I don't have it. Uncle Merle looks stunned. I'd never have said that to him before.
"Well, look at you." He chuckles. "Your dad would be proud of you hadn't got him killed."
"Yeah, he's defiantly dead ain't he." I spit. The scruffy man nods.
"Yeah, died whilst looking for you." He lies through his teeth. Hysterical laughter falls from my mouth.
"You lyin' scumbag. Tellin' your fifteen year old niece her dad's dead, and lyin' about it. Yeah, he's dead, ain't he? That's why I've been with him in a group, isn't it?"
Merle's face drops. He grins.
"My brothers alive?" He gasps the question. I scowl.
"No thanks to you."
"Take me too him." He begs.
"Die."
"For fucks sake, Bella!" He yells. "Can you please stop being a bitch for five seconds? He's my brother!"
"You never acted like it!" I scream back at him, all my anger rising to the surface. "In fact, you've never acted like an uncle, either! I just fuckin' want a normal family, and since I can't get that; I'd at least like to have my mother-fuckin' dad, and my uncle!" By the one I'm done screaming, I'm panting for breath. For some unknown reason, I'm also crying, and shaking hard.

He pulls me into a hug, careful of where his blade is. This time, I don't reject it. I hug him back, crying hard. I still don't forgive him.
"I would take you back." I whisper. "But you know they'll follow us." He shakes his head, understanding.
"The gate. 11:30. I'm on patrol." He tells me. "Meet me there. I'll get you home."