13. The Hormonal Teenage Years

Chapter 13

   The doorbell rang.

   It had been about two hours since Ian had left, and I figured I might as well let him rot out there for a bit. The doorbell rang again, and I gingerly walked over to the door. 

   "It's Ian, open up," a voice called from outside.

   I pulled the door open lazily, and then launched the ball of cookie dough that I had in my hand at him.

   "What the hell?" he asked, surprised.

   He peeled the ball of dough off of his jacket and looked at me in amusement.

   "Cookies?" he asked.

   I nodded and then stalked away.

   "Can I have some?" he rushed after me after closing the door.

   "No," I replied, defiantly.

   "Why not?" he pouted.

   "'Cause you left me," I said.

   "Oh, hush. I'm going to make it up to you," he grinned. 

   He hastily covered my dough and grabbed my wrist, pulling me with him. He went out and locked the door behind him, but not before grabbing something off the table. I noticed he grabbed my keys too when he unlocked the DeLorean. The pizza box that he threw in the back seat suddenly forced my stomach to tell me how hungry I was through a loud grumble. He smirked and got in the drivers' seat.

   "Why are you driving?" I asked, climbing in anyways. 

   "Because you don't know the place, nerd," he smiled cheekily and revved the engines. 

   He drove off just as maniacally as I usually drive. After about ten minutes, we reached an almost empty park. 

   "Ian, why are we in a park?" I asked, eyeing him in suspicion.

   "'Cause we're having lunch here," he said cheerily and killed the engine. 

   He grabbed the box and stepped out, locking the car after I closed the door.

   "Okay, what do you want?" I sighed.

   He looked at me, his eyebrows furrowing up cutely.

   Wait, CUTELY?

   Shut up, Alexis.

   "Well, you know, you're being so nice and all, you probably want something," I said, raising an eyebrow.

   "I'm not that terrible, Alex," he rolled his eyes and grabbed my hand, pulling me along.

   Notice how I said hand, and not wrist. I felt a tingle run through my hand down to my toes. It felt oddly comforting so I held on just a little tighter, hoping that he wouldn't notice. He walked until we got to an area deep in the heart of the park. Fallen leaves were scattered across the ground, and there was a beautiful tree overlooking a little lake. The reflection on the water was breath-taking. I paused to take it in and Ian stopped with me.

   "It's amazing, isn't it?" he murmured softly.

   I nodded wordlessly and realized that my hand was still in his. And it felt nice. Looking at this view, being in this amazing place with a guy who was not so bad and holding my hand, I guess life might not be that bad.

   Hormones again. Jeez, get a grip on yourself, Rivers.

   He moved away from me, taking his hand out of mine and jumping onto the tree.