8. The Pizza Boy

Why is she so pretty?--->

Chapter 8

   Yes, my baby was coming home today. Finally!

   I sat impatiently in my chair, fidgeting with some loose strands of hair that had fallen out from my bun as I waited for the bell to ring.

   Three, two, one.

   I jumped up a second before the bell rang and slung my bag across my torso as it did. Grinning, I ran out of the classroom, unable to contain my excitement. But of course, life is never perfect. Something has to ruin your perfectly gorgeous moment. And for me, this came in the form of Ian Daniels.

   As I was running towards my locker, I slammed full force into Ian and fell back onto the ground. Clearly, I had no effect on him, just stunned him the slightest.

   "Whoa, where you off to in such a hurry, nerd?" he asked, offering me his hand.

   I gratefully took it and pulled myself up. "My baby's coming home!" I grinned and ran past him. 

   "Which reminds me, I can't make it for tutoring today, got lots of work," I said, turning around and jogging backwards to my locker.

   "What do you mean by your 'baby's' coming home?" Ian asked confused, leaning against the wall of lockers.

   "The DeLorean," I sighed contentedly.

   "Oh, that baby," he nodded. "Maybe I could help you out with it? I love anything to do with cars,"

   I stared at him like he had just grown another - no, a couple of - head(s).

   "You want to help me?" I asked, still trying to get a hold of this alien concept.

   "Yes nerd, me helping you," he replied, raising an eyebrow at me.

   I will never understand how he thinks.

   "Sure, come over with your bike half an hour after school. We have to collect the DeLorean," I said as people began filling up the hallways.

   He didn't reply. I looked up from my locker and found Ian gone.

   Of course, the populars and the nerds thing. Jeez, I guess I'll really never understand him.

   I started the walk to my house, engrossed in my thoughts on what I was going to do with my baby. Half an hour later, the doorbell rang as I was slipping on my shoes. I could hear my mom and Ian talk as I quickly tied up my laces.

   "Alexis!" my mom called.

   I sprinted downstairs, hastily tying up my hair as I did.

   "Present," I grinned, ecstatic.

   "Tone down the happy, nerd," Ian smiled.

   "No way," I replied, and grabbed his arm. "Let's go!"

   I jumped onto his bike after him and strapped on the helmet, laughing with delight as we rode off to the junkyard. We made it there forty minutes later, including the two breaks we took for a snack and to rest my clenched fingers that had been gripping Ian's jacket much too tight. 

   "So, how am I supposed to come back?" Ian asked.

   "You ride alongside my baby," I shrugged.

   I handed him the helmet and entered the junkyard, spotting my car immediately.

   "Hey, what do you want?" a gruff voice asked as I entered.