15. The Birthday - Part One

Chapter 15

   "Alexis! This is the hundredth time I'm listening to that goddamn playlist," Ian yelled, barging into my room.

   "Sue me, I'm officially obsessed," I shot back, still lounging on my bed. 

   "Don't tell me this is the first time you're listening to their songs?" he asked in disbelief.

   "Yeah, I know, the duty of an All Time Low fan is to know Fall Out Boy. But I didn't actually listen to them until now, okay?" I sighed.

   "Well, at least you're finally doing something right in your life," he mumbled.

   "I can hear you," I said. "Besides, their songs are great, how can you not want to hear them over and over?"

   He nodded and turned up the volume on 'My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark'. Ian picked up a brush while I grabbed my drumsticks and started air-drumming. Ian sang into the brush-come-mic, sounding even worse than usual. I laughed as he jumped onto my bed and enacted a live performance. 

   "Thank you!" he said, bowing low after the song ended.

   I laughed even more as he grinned at me.

   "So, you play drums, huh?" he asked, falling onto my bed with a thump.

   I nodded, my arms aching from all the fake drumming. I also lay down on my bed beside Ian as we stared up at the ceiling, breaths ragged. 

   "No wonder there's a drum set in the music room," he mused.

   "Now that that horrible performance is over, can you lend us a ear?" a voice floated into the room from outside.

   We sat up straight and saw Harriet standing at the door, smiling at us. My face went red as I realized we had been watched. Ian simply laughed at me, his mom was probably used to his tacky performances.

   "Sure mom, what's up?" he asked, sitting cross-legged on the bed.

   "Remember how we talked about Rosie getting married?" she replied. 

   Rosie was one of my mom's best friends, and I'd known her since I was seven. She frequented our house, and was one of the most fun people I had ever known. Around six months ago, my mom told me that Rosie got engaged, and the wedding was set for August. 

   "Oh yeah! Totally slipped my mind, her wedding's next month, right?" Ian said excitedly. 

   "Wait, you guys know Rosie too?" I asked in confusion. 

   "Rosie, your mom, and I were best friends in school!" Harriet laughed as Ian nodded along. 

   "And Harriet will be coming with me to London next week!" my mom chirped, poking her head into the doorway. 

   "I'm guessing you're also a bridesmaid? And I assume Rosie just wants to hang out with you guys more before her wedding, huh?" I asked Harriet. 

   She nodded in agreement. 

   "I'm going with mommy and Riversong!" Ivan declared adorably, appearing behind my mom.

   Ian and I laughed at his Doctor Who reference. "I figured you would go with them," Ian said. 

   My mom handed us an envelope with our tickets. They were already booked – no doubt Rosie had booked them since she was filthy rich, having her own business and all. It was dated for three weeks from now. 

   "This is so cool," I grinned.

   "Don't forget to pack, okay? And make sure you take everything you need. Actually, let me see what you need to pack right now," my mom rambled.