chapter twenty-three - butternut cookies and brain bleeds

Start from the beginning

I was sobbing now. Full on, ugly crying.

"Please. Marc" I sobbed.

"We're done, Thea" Marc's words broke my heart but my attention was now focused on the blood dripping from his nose.

"Are you okay?" I took a step forward and touched his hand. He ripped it away and tried to say something but all that came out was a slurred version of 'don't touch me.'

It happened so fast.

He pulled away from me.

And then he was convulsing with vomit leaking down the side of his mouth.

"Help!" I screamed as Kevin pressed the call button. "Please help!"

"Oh my god, Marc" Summer tried to get to him but a bunch of doctors and nurses pushed past her.

"Back up" A nurse demanded and we complied.

"Get him on his side" A doctor rushed to turn him. "He's choking on the vomit"

Kevin wrapped his arms around Summer as she cried.

I covered my mouth to muffle my sobs as the doctors started rushing to stop the seizure.

"He has a cerebral hemorrhage" The doctor sounded panicked. "We need to get him to a CT to confirm and into emergency surgery"

"Another surgery?" Summer whimpered as they started to wheel Marc out of the room.

"I'm sorry miss. We need to hurry" The doctor turned his attention to his colleagues. "I want to know who the hell missed this"

This was all my fault.

"Thea! Baby! It's been so long!"

"I'm supposed to drive you home to work on the project"

"Don't get me wrong. You're fine as fuck but I'm not looking for anything serious"

"Oh yeah! That's my girl!"

"Come on, Thea. You've been my girl since pre-k"

"And whenever I missed you, I would call him and ask him how you were"

"Thea started a fire!"

"Wanna know why I care?"

"I'm sorry. J-Just stay for a while"

"Do you still remember how to dance?"

"You think I don't want you now? This isn't a god damn game, Thea"

"I know this is the part where I'm supposed to ask you to be my girlfriend but I'm scared of ghosts"

"If you even loved her an ounce like I do, you wouldn't let some whore do the shit Mikayla has done to her."

"Thea and I are also engaged"

"Everyone chooses them over me. So I shouldn't be surprised but I thought you were different, Tee"

"This is all your fault"

"You weren't worth it"

The past few months flashed before my eyes as I slid down to the floor.

"What happened? Where's Marc?" Mrs. Preston sounded alarmed.

"Emergency surgery" Summer mumbled.

"What did the doctor say?" Dr. Preston asked.

"A cerebral hemorrhage? What is that?" Kevin asked.

"It's a- a brain bleed" Dr. Preston ran a hand down his face. "A stroke"

I watched as Mrs. Preston's eyes started darting around the room and then they landed on me.

"What's she doing here?" Mrs. Preston asked.

"He needed to see her, Mom" Kevin sighed.

"No-No he needed rest" Mrs. Preston raised her voice. "My baby needed to relax he didn't need to deal with all this right now!"

I've never heard Mrs. Preston raise her voice. But by the way she spoke... she blamed me for this...

"Taylor, calm down" Dr. Preston whispered.

"Just drive her home, Adam" Mrs. Preston waved him off.

****

"Don't let this ruin you, Thea" Dr. Preston spoke.

"What?" I looked away from the window and towards him.

"I let the accident destroy me. I blamed myself. And because of that, I destroyed my family" Dr. Preston's voice was quiet. "It's my biggest regret."

I just watched the way his jaw ticked. Marc's did the same thing when he was scared...

"Marc's seriously hurt. He could... He could die. And that'll wreck you. But you'll need to move on. Or you'll never be happy." Dr. Preston gripped the steering wheel tight. "Marc might be angry at you right now. But he wouldn't want you to feel like this forever"

Maybe I should have listened to everything Dr. Preston was saying.

But all I could hear was-

He could die.

a u t h o r s n o t e

I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter of The Preston Playboys! Honestly the reason why the updates have been so erratic is because I can't really right sad chapters when I'm really happy! But some shit went down the past two days and here you guys are!!! A hot plate of emotional turmoil! MY POOR BABY MARC!!!!! Three, yes three, more chapters left!!!!!!!!! Gahhhhhh I'm so sad yet so happy to wrap up Marc and Thea's story!!!! And I have an amazing idea for the epilogue too!!! Also let me know what chapter you would like to see in Marc's POV, since usually I add one bonus chapter!

Don't forget to,

Vote, Comment and Follow!

c a m m i k e n n y