Chapter 14: Mercy (Part1)

Mulai dari awal

"I didn't want to take your kid," he said softly, looking down at the ground in shame. "I needed to get out of the city or I was going to be killed."

"You mean fixed," she pointedly corrected, practically spitting at him in the process. "The King is doing all he can to heal you things and all you do is spread your disease. Can't you see we are suffering because of you? If you were a real person with decency, you would hand yourselves over to the Watch."

Her tone was harsh, as if she was waiting for a moment to tell this to someone and finally cracked the whip in his direction. Hari winced at every word as she continued.

"But I suppose that's too difficult for you. How can a beast have the ability to have a sense of humanity? Someone inhabited by the result of the cauldron of a witch has no soul. You're body is poisoned. Fire is the only hope, yet you defy reason."

Hari simply sat with his knees to his chest. He felt small, but even the smallest bug has a sense of dignity and survival.

"You did all of this so your baby can live," Hari said softly into his knees as he brought his legs into his chest, quietly fighting back tears in his eyes. "I did all of this so I could live. It may be wrong, but I like to think my life is worth more than being taken away by fire."

The woman scoffed, as if the idea of his life being worth anything was a disgraceful joke. Hari decided to continue despite her interruption

"For what it's worth, I would never have infected you or your daughter." He buried his face farther into his knees to hide the tears that forced their way to the edges of his eyelids.

"I wouldn't wish this life on my worst enemy."

"At least you have the decency to feel bad about it," she spat.

The carriage came to a halt suddenly and a few moments later the carriage door was swung open to reveal Simba with a detached look.

"Get out you two," he said softly, now looking to the woman and child directly. "It's time to let you go."

Hari let the woman scamper out in front of him, watching as she gave a paranoid eye while gingerly juggling the task of stepping out to the ground with the baby and basket in hand. He was happy the kid was safe anyhow. Hari noticed that Simba now had his sword in its sheath on his hip. It matched the one in the carriage that was hidden in a small compartment in the floors. He wondered why Simba needed it. 

They had emerged in a field that was dry and brown with grass that crackled under his feet. The sky was a dusty pink like salmon left in the sun, only a single purple cloud obstructing the sun that was three quarters through the sky. It was colder than Hari imagined it would be. He wondered if the woman would make it home by herself before the sun set. He felt like they shouldn't let a woman with a child battle the cold weather of the night without supplies.

She stood waiting for the plan to get her home like Simba had promised. Hari stood next to Simba, facing the woman and baby as he prepared to share what he had come up with. Darwin perched himself on Hari's shoulder, stoically looking onto the woman who awaited her sentencing, Simba like a judge preparing to deliver his verdict.

"As heir to the throne and protector of the realm," Simba began, letting his voice break through the whispering wind that tumbled across the dead land they stood on. There was a pause before he delivered his next line, as if he had to take a moment to pull himself together.

"I, Simba Adofo, sentence you to death."

He took out his sword with a long snap as his blade left it's house, holding the silver weapon's blade towards her as she stood in shock. She looked down the the steel blade before her, taking a step back in surprise. Hari froze in disgust. What was he doing?