Chapter 8

6 months later

"That's the last of the boxes." I tell Ken as I place it next to the apartment door for him to bring down to the truck. Ann, Kens grandma died three weeks ago of a heart attack, and Ken is not taking it easy. She was his last living relative. So when he had asked me a week ago to move into that beautiful house on the farm with him I couldn't say no. He needed me and I loved him.  Ken took his business in Boston and relocated here. His business was so much more successful that I thought. I am praying for him that it will continue to be a successful business here. Everyone needs a contractor at some point right? All these thought are flowing around in my head, I'm in my own world, I didn't even notice Ken come back into the apartment.
"I'm going to take one last look around to make sure I have everything."
"Yeah Okay. I'll meet you in the truck" Ken says as he picks up the last box. I have lived in this apartment for almost 2 years, it has been my home. Though I don't have many memories made here besides for the ones that have been made with Ken over the last six months. Some good, some bad. Ken has only lost his temper a couple of times in the last six months, but we all have our faults. Right? Once we get settled into our new, well my new home with him everything will be better. I take one last look around my small one bedroom apartment before I turn off the lights and lock the door behind me.
"Let go home." Ken gives me a weak smile and takes my hand as I climb in the truck. I feel happy, relieved, secure knowing I have someone by my side, someone to go threw life with. My only issue now is the bus doesn't pick up near the farm so Ken is going to have to bring me back and forth to work until he teaches me how to drive. He constantly tells me  he will not mind it, but I know there will come a point when he has to stop what he is doing to come and pick me up and it will start to become an issue. Maybe I can buy a bicycle for the warmer days.
"I'm going to stop into the store to buy beer. You should pick up something for dinner that we can cook together." Ken says as he pulls into the parking lot. I give his hand a light squeeze. "Sounds good." We go our separate ways.
I walk the isles picking up what I need when I spot Sara, the waitress from Gran's. Ken ex girlfriend. I try to turn around before she see me but I was to late. She walks towards me and I smile. "Lane right?" She asks.
"Yes. And your Sara?" I ask it like a question even though I already know the answer.
"Yeah Sara. Are you still with Ken Lewis? I know he is living here now." I don't know if I should answer. I wait a minute and just look at her. What's her deal?
"Yes. But I should get going." I tell her starting to walk away.
"Wait. You need to know something about Ken. He is not a good guy. He can be abusive, he has a temper Lane. If you haven't seen that side yet you will. He can't control it." She looks scared for me. I don't want to tell her I've already seen it. But I know she is right. But I love him and his moments of anger can not out weight our good memories. I look her right in the eyes when I tell her "you know nothing. Ken treats me good. And he loves me. Don't ever speak to either of us again. Have a good day Sara." I turn and walk away as fast as I can. I decided not to tell Ken about my run in with Sara. 20 minutes later we are back in the truck and on our way home.
"I'll give you a hand with those boxes once I bring the groceries in." I announce while picking the bags up from the back set.
"It's okay, I got it." He waves me off.
I decided on homemade spaghetti and meatballs for dinner. It's simple but the two of us can make it together like Ken suggested. I pour myself a glass of wine and start unpacking leaving out what is needed for supper. The things from my apartment can wait until morning. Ken appears in the kitchen and twist the cap off his beer, after taking a sip he lays it on the counter and comes up behind me sliding his arms around my waist.
"You belong here. In this kitchen, this house, my life. Thank you Lane for being here for me these past three weeks." I feel his lips on my neck.
"I'm not going anywhere baby." I assure him leaning to the side a little giving him more access to my neck.
"Promise me. Promise you'll never leave me."
"I promise." I whisper.
Ken brings his hand up to my neck, and squeezes gently, I start to get turned on thinking his other hand would maybe move down to my now pulsing clit, but instead he growls in my ear. "Say it Lane. Say you promise you will never leave me." My eyes go wide. How did I read this moment so wrong. I try to move but Ken holds me tights. His hand gripping my neck so it's harder to get air. I nod and he loosens his grip enough for me to speak. "You can't.. what are you..." I'm stuttering, my hands are shaking and sweaty.
"Say it Lane." He is yelling now.
"I promise I'll never leave you. I promise I'll never leave you." I say it twice, right now in this moment all the happiness, and security I felt hours ago have slipped away. It takes a moment before either of us move. After what feels like forever Ken removes his hands from me, grabs his beer off the counter and walks away. I know this is not normal. I grew up watching my parents love each other unconditionally. A man should never lay his hands on a woman. I know as I stand here I should walk out the front door and never look back, but where will I go? My parents are dead, I just gave up my apartment. Ken is my only family now. So instead I grab the cutting board and knife, lay out the peppers, onions, and mushrooms, place the hamburger meat in a bowl and prepare to cook dinner. As I start to roll the meat into balls Ken appears in the door way. Beer still in hand.
"Lane.." He sounds sad.
"Lane, I'm sorry. My grandma is gone, she left me here alone and I'm afraid you will leave me too. I didn't mean to hurt you, I don't want to be alone." I can see tears gloss his eyes. I should feel angry, maybe even scared of this man but I am not. I know what it's like to lose the only family you have. My heart is aching for what he is going threw right now and I want to do whatever i can to make him feel better. I step around the counter and walk towards him, he looks up at me when he see me coming towards him, relieve covering his face.
"Are you.." he starts, but I lay my finger on his soft lips. "Shhh baby, let me make you feel better." I whisper. I take the beer from his hands and lay it on the small decor table by the door frame of the the kitchen and drop to my knees in front of him. Kens eye open wide as he watches me undo his pants and bring them down to his knees. He is already hard for me. I wrap my arms around him and grab his ass in both my hands hauling him to me. I open my mouth and slide my tongue all the way down his hard shaft. He twitches and lets out a moan. A moan that drives me crazy. I shove him in my mouth as far as I can taking him till I am gagging around his hardness. "Oh fuck." He yells and takes a handful of hair. Ken starts moving in and out of my mouth and I use my hands that are still firmly griping his ass to hold me in place. "I'm going to come in that dirty little mouth." Ken growls, and I suck harder. Seconds later I can feel him releasing himself down the back of my throat. I take every last drop. He removes himself from my mouth and I look up at him and lick my lips. His eye devour me. He bends down grabbing me by the hips and throws me over him shoulder.
"It's your turn." He says as he makes his way to our bedroom.
Ken made a new record this evening making me come 4 times before he was finished with me. I am giddy, my legs are still a little wobbly and Kens sad eyes are now happy eyes.
We are back in the kitchen to finish preparing our dinner that I started an hour earlier. Ken is chopping peppers, onions and mushrooms, while I am making the sauce and stirring the noodles.
"I knows it's only been a couple weeks since your business has been sat up here, but how is it going? Is it picking up any?" I ask Ken while I lay the meatballs in the now prepared sauce.
"It's starting to yes. I have three shingling jobs next week, Sal called and wants the back patio at Mel's pub redone. And a few other jobs in a couple weeks. Once I get my name out there everything will be good." He says with a smile.
"That's great baby." I return the smile.
"What about you? Do you plan on staying at the post office long term?"
"It wasn't my plan. The money is okay, and I like the job, but I've always wanted to own a book store, i just never had the money or the time." I tell him something I've never told anyone.
"It's never to late."
I turn around and face Ken, he slides the cutting board over to me with everything cut into little squares and I take it with a smile and toss it all in together with the sauce.
"Let get married." I blurt out. Oh god did I say that out loud? He's going to think I am crazy.
"Really?" His eyes are wide, but there is excitement in them.
"I mean.. I.. Yeah. Really. You don't think it's crazy? It hasn't even been a year yet. You don't have to marry me, I was thinking it and it just kind of popped out." I'm rambling. Calm down Lane I tell myself.
"Yes." Ken is now off his stool and within four big steps he has me in his arms.
"I'll marry you Lane Walters." He lifts me up and I giggle like a little girl. I kiss him hard, with passion and desire. I'm going to marry this man.