2- Dinner With...Him?

Start from the beginning

"Sure, mom, I'll be there. And oh, is West coming?" I asked.

"Sadly, no. He's caught up in Hawaii with work. I'll see you, then? Bye."

"Oh. Take care." I sighed. It was a pity that I wouldn't see him.

I had to get ready so I grabbed my things and left the room. As if on cue, Aleksie was walking outside the corridor. "Hey, Aleksie!"

"Hi, Katee!"

"Uh, I need to go now, is that alright?" I asked.

"Oh, sure. See you tomorrow at 5 in the afternoon, okay?"

"Okay, bye." I hugged her lightly then got into the elevator.

Just then, when the elevator doors were just 2 inches apart, I caught a glimpse of a guy, meters away from me. His image has been embedded into my mind so I knew.

It was Ivan.

---

I was already in my red cocktail dress and make-up when my cell phone vibrated. I received a message from my mom saying that 'Dinner starts in 10 minutes.' Grabbing my purse, I headed out of my apartment. I got out of the building, where I was greeted by the limo that dad sent to get me.

The guard opened the car door and helped me get in.

Seconds later, I felt the limo move and take me through the city. It was already night time, and since it was winter, the skies were as dark as ever. New York City was all lit up, still busy at this hour. It's actually more beautiful here every night with all the lights inside or outside the hundreds of buildings.

Minutes later, I arrived at my destination: A fancy restaurant called Le Gen'. I was led inside of the restaurant and into the reserved room where I found my Dad and my Mom sitting behind the table. Dad saw me and gestured at a vacant chair so I sat down, greeting the both of them and the other man who looked like he was in his late 40's.

"Well, I'm sure my nephew will be here in just a minute," the man said, looking a bit uncomfortable.

"Oh, it's alright. We're in no rush. By the way, Daniel, I want you to meet my daughter, Katee. Katee, this is Mr. Daniel Leighton." Dad introduced.

I smiled as sweetly as I could. "Nice to meet you, Sir."

He looked pleased with me. "Oh, please, call me Daniel." Then turning to my parents, he said, "I'm really sorry for my nephew's tardiness."

"It's alright, Daniel." Mom assured him.

"I really don't get why you just won't marry someone, Daniel." Dad changed the topic.

"It's already late, and I'm not really into the idea of marriage.  Besides, I'm contented with my nephew." He said, smiling. "He's like my own child."

"Well, your nephew really shows great promise. Even at a young age." Mom nodded in agreement.

"Yes, he does. He'll do great things for the company some day. How about you, Michael?" Daniel turned to my Dad. "How's your eldest son?"

"Well," Dad intertwined his fingers and laid his hands on top of the table "He's doing great in Hawaii. He's actually controlling our company's branch over there quite excellently."

BORING...business stuff has always been boring for me. I tried to look as interested as I could as they continued their chit-chat about my brother and Daniel's nephew. The waiters have started laying the food on our table while there remained an empty seat just in front of me. My guess is that it's for Daniel's nephew.