08 ➳ DEAD EYES STILL GLIMMER

Start from the beginning

"We got an appointment with the Doctor." Taehyung nodded. It was the only thing he could do. He did not know how to react to this set of information. Namjoon was like a father to Jeongguk. And they both believed in the roll that they had together.

"Jeongguk, did you get hurt again?" teased the Doctor as Namjoon, Jeongguk, and Taehyung emerged through the door. Taehyung noticed Hoseok in the corner of the room. It seemed as though he was preparing a meal. Hoseok smiled over at Taehyung. This means ... this was his husband. The short, mint-haired man with unbelievable ivory skin laughed at his own joke.

"Not me. Taehyung needs a checkup." The Doctor held out his hand for Taehyung to shake. Taehyung accepted it although quiet hesitant.

"I'm not going to bite," he joked. Taehyung did not laugh. He could not even force himself to. "I'm Yoongi, by the way."

"Taehyung," replied Taehyung monotonous. How was he still so happy? "Well, let's get you checked up."

"Do you think this is something you would rather do in private?" asked Namjoon. Yoongi's smile dropped.

"This is the man I'm spending the rest of the apocalypse with and hopefully once it's over, he'll know as soon as you leave."

"What happened to Doctor-patient confidentiality?" Taehyung attempted a joke. Thankfully, Yoongi understood what he meant. He laughed.

"That doesn't apply to a spouse. Once somebody becomes important, you go out of your way to tell the truth."

Taehyung glanced over at Jeongguk. The latter looked down at his feet, cheeks heating up. Taehyung cleared his throat.

So, tell me about yourself, Taehyung."

"There's nothing really to say. It's the apocalypse. Have you heard the dead are rising?"

"Is this breaking news?" Taehyung watched intensively as Yoongi checked his pulse. There was no unusual reaction received from the doctor. Yoongi pulled out a stethoscope. "Can I ask you to lift your shirt or just take it off?"

"In front of your husband?" asked Taehyung. He heard Hoseok's laughter from behind him. Yoongi shook his head. Taehyung removed his shirt, jumping at the cold piece of medical equipment.

"Nice healthy heartbeat, now for just a simple blood test."

Taehyung saw Jeongguk chewing on his nails anxiously. Namjoon crossed his arms. Taehyung watched the needle pierce his skin. The needle filled with his blood.

"But how?" whispered Jeongguk. Even Taehyung was surprised. Why did he not bleed when he was injured?

"Well, even you have this," Yoongi turned to look at Jeongguk. "Everything seems fine. Now let's replace this-" Yoongi tugged at Taehyung's bandage.

"No!" Taehyung jerked his arm away. Yoongi's eyes widened at the exposed wound on Taehyung's arm.

"You're bit!"

"No. Wait. Listen," Taehyung tried explaining. Yoongi made his way over to Hoseok swiftly. Hoseok had a gun aimed at Taehyung.

"You're bit!"

"Yeah, no shit Sherlock!" exclaimed Taehyung. He did not know how to ease the thickened tension. Jeongguk ran in front of Taehyung.

"Stop, he's not a threat."

"He's not a threat?! He's bit!"

"Yes! We know. You've said this three times now. But so was I," Jeongguk raised his shirt exposing his ribs to reveal the scarred bite mark.