"And these are the Raizadas," announced Mr. Mehta. "Devyani Singh Raizada and her grandchildren, Arnav, Anjali and Akash Singh Raizada. And this is Khushi Kumari Gupta, a prospective lawyer for our firm and her friend Payal."

"Namaste," said Payal while Khushi paled, taking in the angry expression on Arnav's face. Surely he wasn't still upset about the injury she'd dealt him last time, was he? After all, it was in self-defense.

"Payal Ji actually works as a designer for our company, Mr. Mehta," said Anjali Ji.

"Oh really? How wonderful," the man beamed. "If that's the case, then we'll let you all mingle."

With that Mr. and Mrs. Mehta walked away to greet other guests.

It was awkwardly silent for a moment before Akash Raizada spoke up. "I didn't expect to see you here, Payal Ji." He blushed as he said her name and when Khushi glanced at Payal, she saw that she was blushing, too.

"Oh, I'm here as Khushi's plus one," Payal clarified.

All Raizada eyes turned to Khushi then, and she had to force herself not to squirm.

"Payal Ji," said Akash suddenly. "Would you like to accompany me to get a drink?"

Payal startled a little at the unexpected invitation but nodded, allowing Akash to lead her away. Khushi wanted to grab her hand and beg her not to leave her alone but all she could do was watch helplessly as she walked away.

"How are you, Khushi Ji?" asked Anjali Ji gently.

"I'm fine, thank you. And you?"

She smiled. "I'm well--thanks to you."

Khushi shifted uncomfortably. "I had a debt to repay, Anjali Ji."

"Regardless, I'm grateful."

"Yes, betiya," said the older Raizada woman in assent. "You've done a great favor to our family."

"But the question is, why?" Arnav Singh Raizada said, hazel eyes narrowed suspiciously.

Khushi lifted her chin slightly in defiance. "As I just said, Mr. Raizada, I had a debt to pay."

"And the second time--the evidence about the factory fire?"

"I wasn't doing you a favor, Mr. Raizada. I had an issue with Mr. Ayushman and I found a way to resolve it that happened to benefit you as well."

He stepped right in front of Khushi, forcing her to tilt her head back slightly to look at him. "In the future, you will stay away from my family. Understood?"

"With pleasure," answered Khushi coolly. Stepping back, she brought her hands together and looked towards Anjali Ji and the Raizada matriarch. "Namaste."

She moved determinedly through the crowd in the direction she had seen Payal go. She hadn't gone far she heard mention of a name that still caused goosebumps to shoot up her arms: Shyam.

"--didn't even last a year," the lady was saying when Khushi stopped to listen.

Her companion tsked. "Poor girl. She's so badkismet what with her parents' suicide on the day of her first marriage and now this."

"How exactly did this happen? How could a Raizada daughter get married to a conman?"

"It was a love marriage." The reply was laced with relish.

Don't get involved, Khushi instructed herself. Don't get involved. Honestly, didn't he just warn her off?

But this was Anjali Ji.