02 ➳ DEAD EYES STILL GLIMMER

Start from the beginning

"It's our past. Hey, Silver." His accent had completely vanished from his vowels.

"Jeongguk, what the hell is this?" Taehyung guessed that 'Shine's' real name was 'Jeongguk'. It actually fit him quite well.

"He's keeping his promise. So get off him!" Jeongguk put his small hands on Namjoon's broad shoulders lightly. His movements were a complete contrast to his tone. Taehyung had a feeling that Namjoon was a leader of some sort. He squeezed his eyes shut as a gun fired. One of the men shot a zombie Taehyung was unbothered by. Namjoon slowly put his gun back in its holster and extended his hand to help Taehyung up to his feet. Taehyung accepted his hand.

"Are you going to come back with us?" Namjoon asked vowels lost within the swirl of disinterest. Taehyung glanced towards Jeongguk who nodded.

"Uh, sure," muttered Taehyung, uncertain.

"Then keep up." Taehyung had no idea why he said that. They walked the whole way. Jeongguk lagged behind the others to talk to Taehyung.

"So, you were finally able to bury them?" It was an odd first question, but it held so much validation. That was the sole reason Taehyung did not leave with him.

"Yeah," Taehyung took his time to admire Jeongguk. He had a clean face, long wavy ebony locks that fell just above his eyelids, and he still had those enormous, innocent doe-eyes.

"It's nice to see you. I thought you ... weren't among the living anymore." Taehyung tensed as Jeongguk latched onto his strong arm, and soon enough his body relaxed. Taehyung missed him.

"It was the same for me." He laughed.

"Didn't you know I'm invincible?" A small smile tugged at the corner of Taehyung's lip. He did not want to come out of the apartment today, however, if he had not, he would have never bumped into an old friend. Jeongguk was called to the front of the group by Namjoon and was held tightly by his forearm. Namjoon whispered something into Jeongguk's ear harshly. He was an older man from his body language; anyone could tell that he was protective over Jeongguk  maybe not protective, perhaps more territorial.

"Open the gates!" it was not an actual gate. It was cars piled on top of each other and two heavy metal doors that were pulled open by five men with a rope from the inside. These people were all living. The gates opened and Taehyung saw little children with their parents. There were people laughing and living their lives as though there was not apocalypse just outside these 'gates'. Taehyung watched the gate close loudly behind them.

"Silver, come here!" Taehyung turned to look where Jeongguk motioned for him. His heart accelerated subtly when Jeongguk laced their hands together. Jeongguk gave Taehyung a tour of the community and what buildings were what. Taehyung however had not been paying attention. He missed being close to people  actual living, breathing people. "Here's the food-hall and the showers." Taehyung's attention immediately snapped towards the showers. Jeongguk giggled, "I thought you would like that. Would you like to take one?"

"Yes, please," Taehyung nodded eagerly. Jeongguk lead him into the building that turned out to be a gigantic communal shower. It was renovated to have at least twenty stalls around the perimeter. Then, another room the two had passed by that looked to be a small pool turned bath  most likely for kids.

"You don't talk much."

"I like to observe my surroundings," Taehyung retorted. Jeongguk hummed. The entire shower room had been vacant.

"I'll be back," Jeongguk smiled, before disappearing out of the room. Taehyung heard the door shut and lock to prevent someone from entering. Taehyung dropped his bag to the ground. He stripped himself of his filthy, ragged attire. His shoes were probably the most worn. Taehyung did not even know how long he had, had them. And he also had been unable to find socks.