01 ➳ DEAD EYES STILL GLIMMER

Start from the beginning

"No," Taehyung clasped his hand over his mouth as Seokjin's harsh movements ripped her abdomen open. His gargled words seemed sad and lonely.

Taehyung turned so that his back was pressed firmly to the counter. He did not as though he could continue watching that any longer. He closed his eyes and prayed for the smacking of lips and the squishing of intestines to stop.

"Shit," cursed a breathless, disembodied voice.

Taehyung's gray-blue onyx irises fluttered open. He was in the abandoned house he had found the night prior. He loathed nightmares. He sat up. That voice. It was not in his dream. It was not a part of that horrible memory he wished to burry deep within his reminiscence. Swiftly, he swiped the flashlight next to his duffle bag and shone it in the direction of the unfamiliar voice. There stood a petite boy. He slowly put on a pair of black glasses that had one of its frames cracked.

"What are you doing?" asked Taehyung. The boy looked at his backpack then at Taehyung.

"I'm stealing food," the ebony-haired boy retorted, nonchalantly. It had been a month since this outbreak had started and this unfamiliar boy was the first person Taehyung had met who did not bullshit him.

"Why didn't you just ask?" Taehyung toggled the vintage lamp that he had found not-too-long-ago on.

"Most people aren't askin' these days." Taehyung heard the hint of a Southeastern accent intertwined within his vowels.

"I'm not going to hurt you. I can make a meal for us," Taehyung looked at the boy's tiny frame.

Beneath the boy's ill-fitting, ragged, attire, Taehyung could make out his emaciated frame. He did not look healthy. He looked starved.

"What'cha got," the boy's accent was more noticeable the closer he got. There was still a good five feet amid them.

"I have a can of beans, some power bars, a can of fruit" Taehyung noticed the sudden spark that glistened within the boy's chocolate glazed irises at the mention of fruit. "Can of fruit it is," Taehyung went over to open the cupboards and pulled out two bowls. He opened the cans with a Swiss Army knife. Well, he tried but he could not.

"Let me see," the small boy came closer and Taehyung handed him the can. The boy produced a metallic can opener from his backpack.

"That's handy."

"Canned food is the only food I trust," he poured an equal amount of fruit and juice for the both of them. Then, he treaded back a few steps with the bowl in his delicate hands.

"Here," Taehyung held out a spoon for him. He completely avoided any form of physical contact with Taehyung's hand.

"Thank you."

"Where's your accent from?" the boy stayed silent for a brief moment.

"Busan," answered the boy.

"What are you doing in Seoul?" His spoon clinked against the bowl quietly.

"Family," he pushed his round glasses up as they slowly began to slip down the bridge of his cute button nose. His features were very weak probably due to not having experiencing adolescence yet. However, his big, innocent irises that looked as though a nebula had given birth to a galaxy were strong.

"Where are they?"

"I don't have any family anymore. Family picnic didn't have the food my aunt wanted." The boy was reluctant to eat the green grapes in his bowl. Taehyung understood why. They replicated the anemic irises of the reanimated dead.

"My brother killed my parents and I swear, even as he tried to bite me, he was talking to me."

"Is that why you don't carry a gun? Or any weapon at all?"