13

He walked slowly, taking his time as the snow blew across his face

He walked slowly, taking his time as the snow blew across his face. The biting cold almost refreshing against his skin. He hadn't bothered to put on a jacket before he left, only a T-shirt and jeans with tears in them and his black boots kept him covered; yet he didn't mind. If he were to get frostbite and die here and now, what did it matter? The band could easily replace him with another guitarist within a few weeks at most. He didn't recognize the person he had become after Vera had died. She was the last remaining light in his life and now she was gone. Was nothing allowed to be his?

Granted there were plenty of things he could have changed about himself to keep people in his life longer, but after ever heartbreak it seemed easier to just shut everyone else out to keep from getting hurt all over again. Only a few people knew why he had become the man he was now but even they had backed out after a while.

He watched as the street lights came on one at a time, lighting a path down the now empty streets. The snow continued to fall, only now it was steadily picking up with the winds causing his skin to burn as it whipped across his body. Norweigen winters were always something to admire, the evergreens would soon be covered in ice and snow within the next few weeks, lakes bound to freeze over at anytime, all of it an enchanting sight for any who gazed upon it. Yet, for Euronymous, it was a sight he was tired of seeing. The beauty of the land had lost any novelty years ago. He longed to finally explore the rest of the world, to see what it had to offer him.

If he was going to get anywhere in the world, Mayhem would have to work twice, if not three times as hard to get to where they needed to be. As he walked, he caught sight of a passing couple around his age. The woman walked close to the man, holding on to his arm as they made their way down the sidewalk. His brow furrowed in frustration, the sight of the couple making his insides burn with rage. The sound of laughter filled his ears as they passed by him only making his envy increase.

"Stupid fuckers," he cursed.

He walked a little further until reaching the bar in the middle of town. Normally he hated drinking anything but Cola and the occasional cup of coffee, but tonight a good stiff drink sounded inviting. He had heard about this particular bar having some of the best beers and liquors for miles from Hellhammer and Necro, something about having some great whiskey as well. If anything, he would have a few shots, go home to bed, and try and work everything out in the morning.

From the outside it looks delightful, modest and intimate. Small stones and hardwood tree trunks make up most of the building's outer structure. It was impossible to see through the curtained windows, but the entertained voices from within can be felt outside.

As Euronymous entered the tavern through the small, soft wooden door, he was welcomed by a pleasant atmosphere and joyful music; a drastic contrast to his current mood.

The bartender is engaged in a conversation, but still manages to welcome him with a friendly nod.

It's as charming inside as it is on the outside. Squared, stone beams support the upper floor and large candles attached to them. The walls are packed with rows of painted portraits of people he assumes to be the previous owners and their friends.

The tavern itself is packed. tourists seem to be the primary clientele here, which is often a good sign. Several long tables are occupied by seperate groups of people, all enjoying themselves, but keep to their own groups. The other, smaller tables are also occupied by people who are playing games and, judging by their laughter, are either telling jokes or great, perhaps embarrassing, tales. Even most of the stools at the bar are occupied, though nobody seems to mind more company.

It took him a moment to gain his composure before making his way over to one of the empty bar stools closest to the wall.

"What can I get for you, sweetheart?" the bartender chimed.

Euronymous sighed. "Whatever's the strongest."

Her smile softened as she patted his hand. "Something to drown your sorrows I take it? Don't worry, honey, I got just the thing for you. First two rounds are on me."

"Thank you."

He kept his head lowered, ignoring the voices of those around him as his mind wandered to a better place. One where he was happy, in a successful band and touring the world with someone that truly loved him by his side.

"Here you go, honey," the bartender smiled as she set down two shot glasses. "Let me know if I can get ya anything else."

Euronymous held up on of the glasses in acknowledgement before downing it; the burning sensation almost making him spit it back out. His hand reached for his throat as it began to burn; how the hell did anyone drink this willingly? Grabbing the second glass, he quickly drank it as well. The burning intensified as if someone were setting his insides on fire.

"Two more," he ordered as he clutched the glass.

The woman nodded, handing him two more shot glasses.

"Leave the bottle please."

She hesitated. "You be careful, honey, this is some pretty strong stuff. I'd hate to see you hurt yourself."

"I'd welcome the pain."

Releasing the bottle, Euronymous poured himself another shot. The burning raged on, pushing it to the back of his mind as he poured another glass. Two quickly turned into four, then eight, and finally twelve before his head fell against the counter. The bottle was now half empty and taken back by the bartender as she picked up the shot glasses around Euronymous. Her blue eyes voiced the concern she felt, yet she said nothing as he struggled to stand.

A large smile was plastered on his pale face as he began to laugh. Any rational thoughts he might have had were now completely gone as he stumbled about the room, the eyes of almost every person in the room focused on him as he stumbled to the door. The bartender considered stopping him for a moment until one of the larger men in the room walked over to him and placed a hand on his shoulder.

"You shouldn't be walking right now, buddy," he suggested.

Euronymous tried to push the hand off. "Fuck off, dick head," he growled.

The man scowled. "Listen I'm only trying to be helpful. No sense getting yourself hurt out there for nothing."

Euronymous pushed harder, falling back into the door as he did. "I said fuck off!"

The man grunted, shaking his head before making his way back to his own table. Managing to open the door, Euronymous made his way back out into the snow, the freezing temperature no longer bothering him as he staggered down the street. His chest ached as his heart broke further as he stumbled along the sidewalk, the only light now coming from the streetlights making it harder than it was to see where he was going; the snow still falling though more gently than it had been when he first entered the bar. His mind, though scrambled like eggs, focused on both Vera and Vanessa, of times that were once happier before his life fell apart from underneath him.

Tears once again threatened to fall as he tripped over himself and fell to the ground. Another cry left his lips as the pain in his chest grew more painful by the second. This wasn't how it was supposed to be. She should still be alive with him , not buried in the ground! All he wanted was some semblance of joy again; to have something he could call his. Why was that so hard? Why did he have to be the asshole in all of this? Euronymous continued to sob, the tears flowing freely down his cheeks to the ground below as he dug his fingers into the freezing snow.

He wanted so badly to carve his heart out of his chest, to finally end the pain and be at peace once again...Longed for someone to love him through all of his flaws, to understand that deep down... he was only human. A man who had been through more than his fair share of bullshit. Just for a minute, he didn't want to be Euronymous anymore...

He wanted to be Øystein again...