24. A Wife and Two Kids

Bắt đầu từ đầu

"Really?" she asked as her face lighted up. 

"Yes, really." I replied to her and she tightened her grip around me.

"Can't we just be like this?" she asked in a whisper.

"Like what?"

"Like this, you know. Like everything is normal, snuggled up and being happy with each other. Can't we stay like this?" she asked and it shattered my heart.

"As much as I would love to do that, It isn't real love if there aren't obstacles. We tend to have a lot of them, honestly." I said and lightly chuckled.

Woah, that may have been the wisest thing ever to come out of your mouth, Shiv.

We just stood there, clung to each other silently. My mind went back to the day I met her, she was just my best friend's future wife to me. Now she was going to be mine.

If she says yes. A voice yelled in the back of my head.

Of course she will say yes. Stay positive. I fought back.

"Come on, let's get you ready." I said to her and held her shoulders while guiding her back to the bathroom.

I filled up the tub for her and checked the temperature before adding bath salts.

"You need to relax. I will get some breakfast for us, okay? Take your time." I said to her. I needed the time to go to my mom's place and get the ring from her.

She nodded and I pecked on her lips lightly and walked out of the suite.

I rang the bell outside her house. It was pretty huge. I needed to ask her what she did for a living that she was able to afford this kind of place in Paris. 

"Hello!" she beamed. "Come on in." 

I walked in and noticed all the interiors were victorian style. Classic chandeliers and vintage furniture spread all around.

Naina would love this place. I thought to myself.

"Mom, the ring. I need it quick." 

"Have some patience. You are here for the first time, sit down. I will bring you the ring."

"Mom, I have told her that I went out to bring breakfast. How long do you think that takes?" I rolled my eyes.

"Fine. I will bring it." she said and walked up the stairs.

She came back in a couple of minutes.

"What do you do here in Paris? You seem quite well off." I asked her.

"I am the owner of a fashion brand here. It's currently local in France but I am trying to expand it." she said and handed me the small black velvet box that contained the ring.

"That is great. I can talk to people in London if you want." I said.

"We can talk about that later. Go and get engaged. And yeah, you both are coming over for dinner tonight. I won't hear any excuses. Do you understand?" 

"Yes, mom. She would love this place. And thank you for the ring." I said and walked out towards the rental car I had.

I saw her wave at me from her front porch and I drove off.

I remembered to buy breakfast before going or she would've understood something was wrong. 

Soon, everything will be right. I thought and pulled up at the hotel.