05 | 𝔓𝔯𝔬𝔟𝔩𝔢𝔪𝔰

05 | 𝔓𝔯𝔬𝔟𝔩𝔢𝔪𝔰 -
OCTOBER 2ND, 1989

     THE smell of hairspray and vanilla perfume invaded her bathroom once she was done getting ready. She stood in front of her body mirror a last time making sure her outfit wasn't out of place or looked weird. After examining herself, the light switch in the bedroom was cut off, already having her things and leaving down the stairs to the dim living room.

To her surprise the curtains were drawn a little allowing some sunlight to shine on the coffee table that was occupied with empty beer bottles and an ashtray full of cig buds from last night's smoking session. Her face twisted to the faint scent of it. With a gag she turns to the left entering into the dining area where her father was seated.

Reading the daily newspaper with a cig rested between his lips while he casually sipped on a fresh cup of hot medium roast coffee. Gina stood before the stove aisle cooking a pan of scrambled eggs while discussing with him over Penny's health. Penelope had suddenly become ill over the weekend and Gina could only assume it had to be the cafeteria food. It wasn't the type of food the girls generally ate but oddly it didn't have much of an affect on Liberty and Rosaline like it did on Penny

The mild conversation turned argumentative. Gina was getting frustrated with him because he was reluctant at the idea of taking some time off to care for her while Gina was gone during the day. Richard didn't feel it was necessary of him to babysit her when she could take care of herself. "You need to stop babying these girls, Gina, I'm tired of it."

The only reason he was reluctant was because he didn't want to take time off knowing he could earn some money and deep down inside she knew that was the reason. There was no doubt that Richard didn't care for his kids and surely wasn't willing to be unselfish with his time, calling him out on his bullshit pissed him off further.

Without a word, he gave her a warning glare to shut her bickering and Liberty watched the way her mom's lips automatically grew thin, rolling them in to keep the words she originally wanted to say back. Her silence grew a satisfaction within her father as he resumed back to his reading.

Liberty murmurs a quick "good morning" to both parents and gives her mom a quick kiss on the cheek before going to pour herself a glass of orange juice and sits at the table. It didn't take long for her plate to be set before her steaming hot, a small serving of eggs ー she wasn't a big eggs fan but oddly enjoyed it with a little syrup on top ーtwo pancakes and sausage.

"Liberty." Her father rasped.

"Yes?"

"Who was it that dropped you off the other night?" He asked. Despite her best efforts in trying to see his face, she had an idea of what he looked like behind the newspaper. His face was probably furrowed, bushy brows knitted so deeply together to the point it created a crease in between. Jaw locked and tight and body tense. Liberty bit the inside of her cheek messing with the eggs with her fork and glanced over at her worried mom. "A couple of friends."