After checking in my coat, we enter the banquet hall. Before walking down the stairs to the main floor, I felt Layla's grip on my arm tighten. Her smile faded, her shoulders shrunk back, and her breath shallowed as she looked out at the venue.

Naoto: "Hey." I said in a low voice after putting my hand on hers as it held my arm. "It's okay." I tilted her head up slightly before kissing her forehead. "You look perfect, don't worry." I smiled, hoping to calm her nerves. She gave me a small smile, then took a deep breath.

Naoto: "Oh, that reminds me. Let's get you some armour before we go in."

Layla: "Armor?" She said with a worried expression.

Naoto: "Yes. The host of this event insists that female guests wear at least one piece from his collection. He calls it free advertising." I said, walking over to a display with Layla. "He says, not only does the woman wearing the jewelry feel like the bell of the ball but the women who envy her and how beautiful she looks in it are more inclined to buy the jewelry," I said, looking at the collection for the right one. "Nothing sells better than envy, or so he says." I relaid as we walk over to a selection of jewelry I thought would look perfect on her.

Layla: "Wow, that's an interesting theory."

Naoto: "Yup." I agreed. "Here we go," I said after taking the necklace, I had asked one of the attendants to take out for me. I put it up to her neck to see how it would look on her. It looked better than I could have imagined. Layla stood speechless as I clasped the necklace around her neck. As she looked at herself in the mirror, she touched the precious pear-shaped emerald stone surround by diamonds that sat perfectly in the middle of her chest. "Do you like it?" I asked, seeing as she hadn't said anything since she'd seen it.

Layla: "Is that me?" she asked, mystified by her own appearance.

Naoto: "Yup." I said, standing behind her, looking at her in the mirror.

Layla: "Am I really allowed to wear this?"

Naoto: "Yup." I answered.

Layla: "All night?" she asked.

Naoto: "Yup, and before you ask. Yes." I said, prepared for her next question.

Layla: "You don't even know what I was going to say."' she turned to face me.

Naoto: "You were going to ask if I'm sure you could wear the necklace all night, right?"

She went to speak then folded her lips. I smiled when I saw her tell, and she smiled guiltily. After putting on the matching earrings, Layla wrapped her arm around mine, letting me know she was ready to go in.

As we walked through the venue, I continued conversing with Layla, making sure to keep her at ease. Thankfully it worked because she didn't notice how much eyes were glued on her every move. I couldn't blame them. She was stunning, and she only made it worse when she smiled. While I admired my date, a few socialites came to size Layla up in the form of greeting us. The encounter only lasted two minutes tops but managed to break down Layla's confidence and piss me off. A few choice words later, I left the group of ladies shocked as I walked away with Layla.

I walked with a purpose as I held Layla's arm, taking her to a secluded area to talk. I wasn't sure what came over me, but like a tsunami, what I needed to say rushed out like a wave.

Naoto: "Okay, Let's talk. I said, looking at Layla's saddened expression. First of all, what was that? Were you seriously going to let them talk down to you like that?" I didn't even give her time to respond as I continued to talk. Layla, there is no reason for you to let people belittle you. If you allow it, you're teaching them how to treat you. If we are going to make it through this night without me going to jail for knocking someone's lights out for talking to you like your below them, you have to step up your game. Right now, you should be the most confident woman in the room."