The Chaos' Control

"...Yeah."

The doors shut behind Pittoo as he left my chambers. I couldn't bare to look at him. I'd fear that if I saw him, I would be reminded of Pit.

Oh, my dear Pit...

I could do nothing. I couldn't save my champion. 

What was I to do? The Chaos Realm was infinite, with doorways to connect to more doorways to different realms. No angel or deity has traversed that realm unscathed.

He's there, alone... 

Any form of connection I have with Pit is faint. In some shape or form, I can sense that he's alive. But to what extent I'm helpless to understand. In all my millions of years of controlling light and hope, I find myself unable to find a way forward. 

I know I should be at the front searching for him. I know I shouldn't close myself off from the rest of the Gods, least of all Pittoo. I know I shouldn't be wallowing in self-pity. I know I shouldn't leave Viridi in charge of this search.

This is more than a goddess losing her champion. This is a mother mourning the loss of her child.

I'm so sorry Pit...

I am forever grateful that Viridi has taken charge for the time being. I just... I need time.

"Oh Pit... what would you do."

"Well, sulking isn't what he'd do."

My attention shot up in fear and confusion at the intruder's voice. Who was-

Oh my god.

It was Pit. I almost stood up and hugged him in relief if something about those eyes didn't cause me to freeze in place.

It wasn't Pit. The eyes were opened slightly too wide. An off smile was on its face. The head cocked to the side with an owl-like appearance. His tunic was dirty and smudged with red soot and what I wished wasn't blood.

I spared a glance at my chamber doors, they remained closed. I was alarmed when I turned back and this... this visage didn't disappear.

"Who are you?! Why do you take my Champion's face!" My staff manifested in my hands.

"What are you talking about Palutena? I'm Pit! Your Champion!" 

It smiled. It would've appeared normal if its eyes weren't maintaining constant contact. He appeared to hold no weapons, but his posture was poised to strike.

"Palutena, don't you see I survived! I'm okay."

There was nothing about this thing that was fine.

"Don't fool me with this performance. Who are you? I demand to know!" I raised my staff, the pointed end at the Pit duplicate. His crooked smile faltered into a Pit-like expression. The ominous presence disappeared into a more human posture. It was slightly hunched and... cowering?

"What! P-Palutena it's me! What's going on?"

I faltered. Its voice echoed into two voices. With one really sounding like Pit; my Pit. As much as I wanted to throw my staff away, as much as I wanted to hug him with open arms, I remained steady.

"What are you? What are you doing here? How did you come here?"

The Pit double looked scared and frazzled by my slew of questions. He backed up, hands raised defensively.

"Palutena! Can you hear me? Please say you can! Oh please! The connection finally worked!"