Chapter 3 (Pre-NaNo)

Start from the beginning

It was bubbling inside me; the hurt and pain, the frustration and loss, the anger and stupidity. All of it rising up inside me, choking me, and making it difficult to swallow. "A drink?" I croaked.

Nate nodded, "There's a cafe at the end of this road. I'll treat you."

I smiled. We began making our way out of the alley. He was leading me.

He looked back over his shoulder and winked at me, "You just gotta trust me Kya. Everything will be okay. You just listen to me and do as I say."

There it was again; his request for my trust that had not yet been earned. I'd always been so trusting before but now there was fear. Fear that if I let anyone get as close as Jace that they would hurt me again. My walls were up and even though I could listen and do as he said, I wasn't sure I could ever trust anyone again.

"Put this on." Nate unzipped his burgundy jacket. He slipped it off and handed it to me. He shivered in his thin khaki t-shirt.

"You'll get cold," I shook my head and refused to take the jacket.

"You're school uniform will get you caught. I'll be fine."

I quickly slid my arms into his jacket. The fleece lining was still warm from his body heat and I could smell him in the material, reminding me of our hug.

*****

Dad picked me up from Fallon's at 9:00 pm. He had no idea that we'd spent the evening planning what we'd wear tomorrow night clubbing and how we'd do our hair. He thought I was being good, ringing him and getting home on time.

"Your mum is still not happy with that stunt you pulled on Christmas Eve." Dad reminded me, not taking his eyes off the road.

"I know," I sighed. "I just really wanted to go to the party and knew she would say no."

"That's no excuse Kya," He said sternly. "I've told her it was a one-off. A rash decision being upset over that boy."

I groaned and sunk into the car seat, "I'm fine, honestly."

"I've told her that I don't think you'll do it again, will you?"

I gulped a lump in my throat. Neither dad nor Fallon knew that Saturday night wasn't going to be my only rebellion. "I promise."

"You've got some making up to do. Perhaps you could help her out at the cafe sometime."

Mum was always wanting help at the cafe and although she paid us it cut into our weekends, "I've got to revise for my exams otherwise I would." I fidgets in my seat, lying was coming like second nature.

"Of course." Dad pulled into the driveway. "If you need any help, I'm here for you."

"Thanks, dad," I said as I got out the car. He unlocked the front door and we went in. We hung our coats in the hallway and as I stood on my tiptoes on the bottom step, I leaned over to give my dad a kiss on the cheek, "Thanks for picking me up. I'm going to get an early night."

"No worries," as he smiled his eyes wrinkled at the corners.

Upstairs, I went through my usual evening routine, visiting the bathroom to brush my teeth and ran the water as if I was washing the make-up from my face. Then, returning to my room, I got my pyjamas from the drawer and laid them out on the bed ready to put on, except, I wouldn't put them on until much later. I switched off the light and opened my bedroom window.

I was unsure it was even possible, but the kitchen roof sloped off just beneath my window. I climbed over the sill and dangled my foot over the edge. The roof below felt suddenly further away than I imagined. I let myself go and I dropped down lightly. It wasn't as far as I'd fret. Still, I wasn't sure I'd be able to pull myself back in later but now I was out, I might as well carry on with my misdemeanour.