Chapter 9 - Flashback: StarClan - Ashstar; AspenClan

Ashnose padded alongside Littlesplash, the blind warrior-turned-medicine cat confidently walked, as if he had no fear of where to put his paws. They were heading towards what Soloswoop and Littlesplash called Moon Fall. He didn't know where it was, or what it was, but to become the proper leader of AspenClan he had to receive nine lives from StarClan. 

"Once we reach the Moon Fall," the red-orange tom mewed. "And when you're ready, take a drink from the pool of water, "and close your eyes."

"Close your eyes and let yourself fall asleep. You will wake up in StarClan's hunting grounds."

"Will you join me in StarClan?" The gray tom asked nervously.

"No, only StarClan will visit with you tonight, Ashnose. You will receive your nine-lives and words of advice from them. I hope you are ready."

"I am! I'll prove myself to them!" Ashnose picked up his pace into a steady trot. They had slipped into a canyon, between the ShadeClan and AspenClan borders, at sunset. The moon was now rising high in the sky, giving them dim light to see their path by. 

The canyon widened into a dead-end. A large waterfall fell over the cliff across from them and into a pool at its base. The tom padded forward, Littlesplash on his tail. As he padded down the slope to the pool, he could feel the water spraying onto his face and pelt. The moon shone down brightly onto the waterfall, turning it a silver-color. 

"Go on," Littlesplash murmured. Ashnose glanced into his blind gaze for a moment before he crouched down and lapped at the pool, he closed his eyes and waited. 

It felt as if he had left his body, the AspenClan leader opened his eyes to look around. He was standing in a warm and sunny field, a group of cats sat in a semi-circle in front of him, with the stars shining in their fur. A dark tortoiseshell she-cat got onto her paws and padded to the front of the group.

"Ashnose," the she-cat mewed as she dipped her head. "StarClan welcomes you. We look forward to seeing your leadership amongst the aspen trees. My name is Sparrowstar, I was the leader of RiverClan many moons ago. I was the one who found Soloswoop, an abandoned kitty-pet and brought him to live amongst my Clan beside the lake. I gave him, and your mother, their warrior names." The-cat seemed familiar to him, but he couldn't place why. A yellow-tabby tom got onto his paws, Lionclaw, a former elder.

"With this life, young Ashnose, I give you the gift of happiness. Use it to find the light in the darkest night," his pink nose touched Ashnose's head and warmth flowed through his bones. The gray tom let out a purr, dipping his head to the elder. Littlewhisker, a young tabby warrior who was taken by green-cough too soon took his place.

"With this life, I give you the gift of instincts. Use them to serve your clan wisely," the young she-cat mewed before touching his head. Ashnose felt the world shift around him, he knew what to do. A slender and beautiful silver queen padded forward. 

"With this life, I give you the gifts of justice and strength to act without fear. Use them to protect others," Fernnose said softly before touching his head. A wave of strength moved through him, he wanted to fix the problems, help the weak, and avenge those who had been wronged. 

"I'm sorry we didn't catch the rogue who killed you," Ashnose murmured to the she-cat.

"You tried," the queen responded. "Thank you for that." As the queen joined the gathered cats, a pale gray tom padded forward. Ashnose knew he looked familiar but he couldn't place why again, like Sparrowstar.

"With this life, Ashnose, I give you the gift of loyalty. Use it well to serve AspenClan," as the tom touched his head, pain ripped through Ashnose's chest. He tensed up, he felt losing someone he loved to save his Clan. He squeezed his eyes shut, seeing a nursery he had never been in before. His mother laid in a nest, in the pale-gray warrior who gave him the life beside her, and a small gray speckled kit asleep with Willowsong.

Ashnose opened his eyes in surprise, but the tom had disappeared into the group. A black she-cat padded forward. 

"With this life, I offer the gift of mentoring others wisely, use it to train the young cats of your clan," with her touch, the feelings of admiration and frustration melted into one. Applepelt pushed her way through the group. The old medicine cat stopped in front of Ashnose, flicking her tail. 

"With this life, I give you selflessness," her voice was hoarse. "Always put your Clan first." Another wave of pain ripped through Ashnose, and the feeling of giving up something he loved for someone else. A gray and white splotchy she-cat padded forward to take Applepelt's place. 

"With this life, I give you the life of understanding not only warriors protect a Clan," the former queen murmured. She pressed her nose to Ashnose's head, and he felt the love a mother has for her kits, and then the heartbreak of leaving what you love behind. He closed his eyes for a moment, seeing images of the Gathering Cave. Blossomtail fighting valiantly against a fox, while Willowsong pushed an apprentice-aged Ashnose to lead the five kits, Scruffykit, Fallkit, Tulipkit, Smallkit, and Breezekit out of the cave. 

"Thank you for saving my family," Ashnose whispered to her. "I wish you would be here to see Breezeclaw and Watersong's kits," the tom purred. 

"I'll watch over them from StarClan," the she-cat murmured. Owlspots, another one of the old elders padded forward, her brown pelt glimmering with stars. 

"What a handsome cat you've become," the elder said softly. "With this life, I give you the gift of wisdom, use it to lead AspenClan well." With the touch of her nose, Ashnose understood more than he had ever wanted to know. A glimpse into Owlspots' long and eventful life. He saw a two-leg machine, sailing across the waters, and a camp in unknown territories to him. Finally, the beautiful tortoiseshell padded forward again.

"With this final life, I give you the gift of faith. Know that StarClan will be with you always, use it well in the future," the she-cat said softly. She touched her nose to his ear, and the tom felt a peace flow through his body. 

"Thank you, all of you," Ashnose said to the gathered cats. 

"I hail you by your new name, Ashstar," Sparrowstar began. "Your old life is no more, you have now received the nine lives of a leader, and StarClan grants you the guardianship of AspenClan. Defend it well; care for young and old; honor your ancestors and the traditions of the warrior code; live each life with pride and dignity

"I'm always with you... I hail you by your new name, Ashstar. Your old life is no more. You have now received the nine lives of a leader, and StarClan grants you the guardianship of GeyserClan. Defend it well; care for young and old; honor your ancestors and the traditions of the warrior code; live each life with pride and dignity."

"Ashstar! Ashstar!" The gathered StarClan cats cheered as Ashstar looked them over. His gaze landed on the pale gray tom. Why do I know him? 

"May you have many moons as StarClan's leader, Ashstar. When the dark and the light, when they unite, nothing can stop them." Sparrowstar said softly, dipping her head once more. Ashstar's eyes opened, he was crouched beside the Moon Fall and Littlesplash was sitting beside him.

"Well?" The blind tom asked, pushing onto his paws. 

"Let's get home," the gray tom mewed as he got onto his paws.

"Lead the way, Ashstar."