Chapter 5 - Toms & Kits - Tulipstar; FlowerClan

The sunlight filtered through the lichen that covered the entrance to the leader's den, waking Tulipstar from her sleep. The orange she-cat slowly sat up, Amberleg had already left the den, his scent stale. She sighed softly and began grooming down her orange fur, only enough to be presentable, before padding out of her den. The camp was buzzing. A hunting patrol was already returning, Ashwhiskers and Russetpelt dumping prey on the fresh-kill pile. Amberleg was speaking to Stonehead while they watched Spiderpaw show off a battle move on Stormsong. The leader raised her gaze to the sky to see the sun on its way towards sunhigh. 

Did I sleep in? Why did no one wake me? She padded towards Amberleg, purring as she touched her nose to her mate and deputy's cheek.

"Tulipstar," Stonehead said, dipping his head before calling out to Spiderpaw that they were joining Troutclaw on a border patrol. The apprentice bounced up and ran for the camp entrance, mewing a goodbye to Stormsong. 

"Why didn't you wake me earlier?" The leader asked Amberleg as she sat down beside him.

"You didn't sleep well."

"I slept fine," she argued. 

"You were tossing and turning in our nest all night. When I woke up you looked so peaceful and beautiful, I just let you sleep," Amberleg's tongue gently lapped over her ear.

"What do you need me to do today?" 

"You can go hunting with Stormsong and Mooseleg later or just rest."

Just rest? Why is he treating me like I'm sick? 

"I don't need to rest," Tulipstar responded, flicking her tail. 

"If you're," Amberleg broke off to cough, the golden tom lowering his head as he gasped to catch his breath. "If you're sure you don't need to rest." 

"Are you alright? I think your cough is getting worse."

"It's nothing. It always gets worse when the weather gets colder." 

"If you're sure," she eyed the tom for a moment. "I'm going to go speak to Greenheart for a moment. Then I'll join the hunting patrol." The orange she-cat pushed onto her paws and padded towards the old hollow and burrow. She ducked her head down and padded into the cozy cave. 

"Tulipstar!" The massive medicine cat looked surprised as he lifted his large head from the herbs he was sorting. "I was wondering when I was going to see you."

"Oh? Then I suppose you know why I'm here."

"Of course. Congratulations," he padded over, leaning down to sniff at her stomach.

"Congratulations?" She asked.

"On the kits."

"Kits?"

"You didn't know?" The black tom asked, tilting his head to the side. 

"Didn't know what?" Tulipstar asked, panic rising in her chest.

"That you were pregnant?"

"I had... I had no idea."

"Then why did you come here?"

"Amberleg's cough. It's getting worse," the leader sat down, looking downwards. She had noticed that she was feeling tired more and getting plumper but she never thought about being pregnant. 

"There's nothing I can do for his cough. He refuses to relax and he's worried about you."

"Why is he worried about me?"

"Are you mouse-brained?" The massive medicine cat asked as he turned towards his herbs. "You're having his kits, yes he's worried about you!" He picked out a few herbs and set them in front of her. "See if you can get Amberleg to eat these. Coltsfoot and tansy, they'll help with his cough and shortness of breath."