Chapter 9: Figuring things out

Mei's POV

Carmela brushed off the fact that her ex was here.

She offered me a seat into a table right in the corner as she sat across me and apologized for whatever terrible things she said about me.

However, something stuck into my mind and I can't get it out of my head.

H-Her ex...

Oh...

I suddenly felt bad and I heard something shattered into small little pieces... Was it my heart or a broken glass?

It went into a disappointment and I felt awkward with us sitting at a Starbucks with her ex bartering...

I was staring at the table in front of me. Carmela noticed that and sighed.

"You know you can ask me anything. It's fine. I'll be happy to tell you anything you want that I know or based on my perception of things in our relationship... Well me and Jillian--"

"Do you still love her?" I cut her words. I... I don't know why I suddenly felt guilty and more eager to ask. To know more about her.

I just couldn't control myself.

I was scared of what would her reaction would be or that she would hate me upon asking that personal question!

"I don't. Well, at least not anymore." She said trying to reassure me. And that made me slightly...

Happy.

"You know-- Adults have this way complicated life Mei. We have our bills and family to feed. So I don't think I'm going into the dating department again. Not after what happened." 

"W-What happened?"

She crossed her arms and took a breather, "As being apart of the LGBTQ community, sure we have some people supporting us in this country and some people don't mind. However, being traditional and some of our parents are forcing us to get married to the opposite sex because we're scared of being alone and bearing no child right?"

I nodded as I was fully interested in her talk. "Well, that's what Jillian thought and finally dated a guy. Seems like they broke up though from the looks of it." 

"How can you tell?"

"Judging from her, she never takes jobs. You see in our relationship I was the money maker. Ahem, the 'guy' type in this. I worked in order for her to be happy and well she only left me for a guy who worked at a barbeque stand."

The last part made me chuckle because how can a person leave such a beautiful girl like Carmela go to waste. Jillian must be pretty stupid. "At least she won't be hungry. Free barbeque!"

Carmela smiled and laughed along with me. I was having too much fun I forgot we ordered coffee. 

"This is for customer Mei and Carmela! Please come get your order!" The manager shouted for us to come to get our order.

"I'll get it---" Before she can even stand up I plopped her back into her seat and decided I would get the drinks for us!

"Nope! It's your ex right there. I wouldn't want her to disturb you or ask you anything. So I'll go get our order." I said and gave her a thumbs up.

I quickly stood up from my seat and reassured her. I walked into the self-serve counter and took the tray with our coffee and dessert in it.

But before I could go back to our table someone held my wrist and decided to give me an eye roll. "So hey there little gal. What are you to my sweetie pie?" (Jillian)