01-The Magician

My name is Luena. I am the student of magical arts. I live and train in the city of Vesuvia. Tonight the evening fog is thick,blanketing the streets in an ethereal,milky glow. I linger at the window to appreciate the tranquil scene,before drawing the curtains shut.

"I'll miss you" I hear Asra say.

//Asra//

My master Asra,the fortune teller. I know nothing of his past. Yet,he's taught me all I know of magic. "Must you leave tonight?" I ask,worry apparent in my voice. "It's the dead of a moonless nighhe right time for beginning a journey."

His eyes twinkle in the low lamplight. "Here...take this" serious look on his face. "For you to play around while I'm gone."A gift? That's unusual. "My tarot deck." That's the last thing I expected him to give me.

The tarot deck is Asra's own creation,imbued with great power. "You think I'm ready, Master?."  "You're still calling me that...you know I can't answer that for you. You've made incredible progress,but you still won't let go of your doubt. Do YOU think you're ready?"

"Why don't we ask the cards?" I suggest. "Excellent suggestion." A few rays of starlight peek through the gauzy curtains. "It's been a while since we've practiced." He notices. "Because I've perfected it?" I ask ,a playful smirk on my face. "Have you now?" He returns the gesture.

"You really are gifted. I shouldn't have expected any less..well,let's see that perfect technique." He's always going on how powerful and gifted I am...His confidence is heartening but I don't
know where it comes from.

When we sit down,something brushes against my ankle,smooth and cool. "Oh" I hear him say. He reaches down from his chair and holds out his hand. A long purple serpent winds her ways up his arm.

 A long purple serpent winds her ways up his arm

//the Serpent//

She flicks her tongue at me. Its Faust. Asra's familiar. She's pleased to see me,I think. "If we're all here...let's begin." I shuffle the deck. His gaze follows the cards as they slip through my fingers.