Chapter 8

trigger warning: implied suicide

Charlie could vaguely hear Ojiro calling to her from atop the hill over the buzzing in her hears.

She thought about Midoriya and Tsuyu and Aizawa and one thought dominated her head: she was going to make those villains hurt.

This motivation was enough to keep her hallucinations at bay and her legs pumping as she ran towards the battle. All Might leapt at the creature, exchanging blow after blow with it but seemingly doing no damage. She watched in horror as All Might's attempt to end the battle failed, causing him to be captured by the creature due to the warp gate user's help. Blood dripped onto the ground as the creature dug its fingers deeper into the hero's sides.

Charlie jolted into action when All Might began to be pulled towards the gate. She gave the mist owner's mind a sharp tug and chaos erupted.

The black mist suddenly retracted to reveal a human body as he fell to his knees, shaking. The gate suddenly snapped shut and the creature was cut cleanly in half.

Its body thumped to the ground anti climatically and Charlie let her connection go. All Might limped her way just as some of her other classmates rushed to her side. Todoroki, Midoriya, Bakugo, Kirishima, and Ojiro had come to offer their assistance, but their presence simply stressed Charlie out more. What if they died and she couldn't do anything?

"Please escape!" All Might urged them. Charlie empathized with All Might's concern but did not obey nonetheless.

They all watched in horror as the creature's flesh stitched itself back together. It got back to its feet with a terrifying shriek. Charlie finally took a good look at it. It was tall, navy blue, and had a bird like head. Its skull was open at the top and its eyes seemed to be set directly into its visible brain.

A villain spoke up as this happened. He had tousled blue hair and hands covering his body as though they were accessories, one covering his face. "I never said shock absorption was the extent of his abilities," the man who seemed to be the ring leader chuckled as he spoke to All Might, his voice scratchy. "As you can see, he's also got regeneration abilities. Nomu is a punching bag that was created specifically to withstand your 100% power."

Without warning, "Nomu" flashed towards Charlie. Her quirk flared up on instinct but she couldn't dodge. She felt herself pushed out of the way, landing near Midoriya and the others.

"You dodged?" Midoriya exclaimed.

"No, All Might pushed me out of the way. I tried to use my quirk on that thing but all I felt was cold emptiness. That thing has no fear—no thoughts whatsoever. What the hell is it?"

All Might continued to urge them to run, but no one budged.

"We're all categorized into heroes and villains, but at the end of the day violence is violence. Who gets to decide what's wrong or right?" the hands freak ranted, spreading his arms in an expression of over-exaggerated grandeur. "Kurogiri get the fuck off your knees and help Numo with All Might, I want to finish this quickly. I'll take care of the kiddies over there."

"Don't fucking think so," Charlie grumbled to herself as the villain charged.

In that moment she felt alright. No, she felt good. The adrenaline pumping through her veins kept her panic completely out of her mind for once and she enjoyed causing the blue haired freak to freeze in his tracks. His eyes widened from between the fingers of the hand attached to his face and he stumbled back.

He let out a shuddering breath, "What... what's this?" His head whipped from side to side and Charlie just watched gleefully as the panic consumed him as it had consumed her not too long ago. He began to scratch at his neck painfully and mumbled to himself as his breath sped up.

Charlie turned to the warp gate user, letting the full power of her quirk come down on him again with a grin. She didn't bother trying to use it on the Nomu again as she was struggling to keep those two connections in tact.

She began to shake slightly as the seconds ticked by. Both the ringmaster and Kurogiri were in their own versions of hell and she focused on nothing but making sure that experience was not cut short for them.

She had never felt so good. So alive. So free.

She heard a large explosion and her focus was suddenly cut. She cried out as her quirk snapped back like a rubber band—hitting her hard. She took a shaky breath as she looked around in a daze. Charlie had only overused her quirk maybe a total of four or five times in her lifetime (one of those times had been just earlier that day) but every time the same hallucination appeared.

She didn't hear her classmates call her name. She didn't hear the conclusion of the battle, nor the retreat of the villains. She didn't feel Ojiro grasping her hands tightly or Midoriya gently shaking her shoulders.

She was in that room again. That same damn room.

Her eyes locked onto the figure right in front of her—the figure hanging from the ceiling on a rope.