Chapter 32

I literally have a test tomorrow that I haven't studied for and instead I'm doing this u g h.

Todoroki's eyes all but burned holes into Charlie's empty desk. She hadn't answered any of the texts he sent over the weekend and now she was absent from school.

"Have any of you heard from Charlie?" Mina slammed her tray onto the table most of their class was sitting at. Much to her dismay, both Todoroki and Ojiro shook their heads anxiously along with the other 1A students.

Mina nervously theorized overly optimistic explanations as to why Charlie might've been absent. "Maybe she went on vacation and doesn't have cell phone service? Maybe she has a new puppy and she's too busy to check her texts or come to school!"

Ojiro and Todoroki shared a glance and quietly ate their food.

The trio's anxiety only increased when a substitute teacher came in Midnight's stead for their afternoon art history class. As soon as school ended, Todoroki found Mina at his desk. "Should we ask Mr Aizawa for Charlie's address and go visit her?"

"I think he already left. I know where Mignight lives. We might find Charlie there."

Mina sputtered questions as Todoroki picked up his bag. "Why do you know where Mrs Midnight lives? Why would Charlie be there?"

"I stayed over with Charlie one time. I guess you could say Midnight's like an aunt to her? So Charlie lives there a lot of the time."

Mina nodded nervously and quickly grabbed her bag from her seat near the door.

Ojiro caught them by the door. "Are you two going to visit Charlie?"

"Yep."

"I have karate class right after school today but can you text me how she is?"

Mina nodded, handing over her phone for him to put his number in. 

The walk to Midnight's house was strangely silent considering it was Mina that Todoroki was walking with. He hadn't had many conversations with the short, pink haired girl, but the ones he had were mainly filled in by her. The usually talkative girl was fairly quiet. 

When they got to Midnight's house they found two cars in the driveway, one they recognized to be Aizawa's from when he had driven their hero costumes to the train station. They knocked and Midnight quickly answered with two tightly woven french braids in her usually loose hair and an apron.

"Ashido! Todoroki! Hello!" Midnight recovered quickly after blinking for a moment at the two students at her doorstep. "You're here to see Charlie, right? Come in!"

The pro hero stepped aside, letting the teens into her house. They quietly took off their shoes and began following her down the hall.

"Charles! Your friends are here to see you!"

"Kayama, who's here? Are they from my class?" Mr Aizawa called through the house. He let out a sigh and covered his face when Mina and Todoroki entered the living room, "...hello kids."

Worksheets that Todoroki recognized from school that day were spread out on the coffee table and Aizawa was seated on the floor. Half of his hair was neatly french braided down his shoulder and Charlie was sitting cross legged on the couch behind him, still working on the other half.

"Oh! Hey guys!" Charlie smiled at them with a quick wave before going back to braiding. She was wearing baggy workout clothes and her hair was visibly damp. She looked tired.