12

"Arrogance may not be a uniquely American trait," Schmidt told the captured Steve, "but I must say you do it better than anyone. But there are limits to what even you can do, Captain. Or did Erskine tell you otherwise?"

"He told me you were insane," Steve said from where he was forced onto his knees.

"Ah. He resented my genius and tried to deny me what was rightfully mine. But he gave you everything. So, what made you so special?"

"Nothin’. I’m just a kid from Brooklyn."

From behind the doors, Becky winced as Schmidt landed a heavy blow to Steve's face.

"I can do this all day."

Maggie smiled as she noticed Becky mouthing along with Steve while making a funny expression.

"Oh, of course you can. Of course. But unfortunately I am on a tight schedule."

Becky held up three fingers. Schmidt took out a pistol that glowed ever so slightly. Becky held up two fingers. Schmidt aimed the pistol at Steve. Becky held up one finger.

"So am I!" Steve said.

As the Commandos crashed through the windows with the Shield, Maggie and Becky burst through the doors. Days of grief turned rage turned Maggie back into her thirteen-year-old self, sprinting at Schmidt the way she once did at Hodge.

Of course, today, Maggie knew how to strangle people. With Maggie providing distraction, Becky landed her fair share of blows to the Hydra leader. But quite unlike fifteen years ago, there was no Bucky to pull them away before Schmidt fought back.

The two of them lay on the ground for a second after Schmidt fled. "I feel so much better, you?"

Maggie nodded at the ceiling. "Oh, yeah. Definitely."

"We should go."

"Absolutely."

"Come on." Becky got up and pulled Maggie to her feet. "Get to Howard, he's pulling an arsenal from the Hydra soldiers. You'll get a better gun from him. I'm going after Schmidt."

Maggie hesitated for a fraction of a second before squeezing Becky in a hug. "Come back alive or I won't even attend your funeral."

"Likewise, Mags. Go."

Maggie would like to say she met Howard halfway, but he was the one who bowled her down before a Hydra soldier fried her with a flamethrower.

"Get off me."

"Promise not to run into any weapons? Beck would bury me in her brother's grave if I let you get hurt."

Maggie smiled. "I promise."

Of course, she broke that promise not even five minutes later to pull Howard out of the line of fire. "Not a word! Shut up! Shut! Up!"

Howard only rolled his eyes and grabbed Maggie's arm. "Come on!"

"Where are we going?"

"Control tower! Maybe I can reprogram the ground weapons to blow Schmidt's ride up."

"Well, what are we waiting for?"

Howard suddenly found himself being the one pulled along.

"LEFT! THE TOWER IS LEFT!"

Howard almost tripped and fell over as Maggie made a sharp turn and went the other way.

I'm going to die, Howard thought, at the hands of my doctor.