She and Alankrita knew each other from way back in playschool, when they were little children, because their fathers were best friends. From a young age, they got along famously, and they were pretty proud of the fact that they'd managed to cling to each other for a decade and a half. Alankrita smiled at the girl sitting next to her.

Unlike Alankrita, when she made an effort to look pretty, it was because she wanted to, not because her social distinction ordered that she did. She, like Alankrita was a member of the school's literary and drama club. Who knew you needed to look your best when you deliver a speech on peer pressure. Oh, the irony.

"Ally, you always have something important on your mind. It's one of the things that happen when you're an important person."

Alankrita just nodded lamely.

"Wait," she said suddenly, grabbing Alankrita's chin between her thumb and index finger, "Ally, have you been crying?"

As much as she loved Anu, Alankrita at that particular moment hated that she was extremely observant. Eager to change the subject, she said, "What? Pfft, no I just haven't slept in a while. Never mind me. What's your crisis, Anu?" knowing full well her friend would need just the subtlest of coercion to continue her monologue.

As expected, Anu grinned and said, "Okay, so you know that I'm going to the New Year's dinner with Faizal, right? And his brother doesn't have anyone to go with? And you just so happen to be dateless yourself? Sooo I thought that you two of you wonderful people could go together."

Alankrita, who had only been paying Anu half her attention, was startled out of her daydream.

"What? Chee, no, it'll be awkward. I hardly know Farhaan and you and Faizal are bound to get hanky-panky."

Anu stopped twirling her hair and pleaded. "Please, Ally. I want to do something nice for Faizal, and I know he will be happy seeing his brother happy."

"What's the occasion?"

Anu hesitated, and the next time she spoke her voice was quieter, "I rented a cabin cruiser."

Alankrita's eyes widened. "What?! Why? How did you get the money?" Anu grinned and said, "Remember three years ago when my Dadi died and left me a part of her estate? Yeah well I decided to sell it and use the money for a cruiser. Faizal's parents got married on one, and he's never been on a boat, so I decided to surprise him."

Alankrita started squealing. "Oh my God, Anu, this is so cool! When are you going to tell him? Where are you going to take him? What are you guys going to do? Actually, scratch that last one-I don't want to know about your inappropriate activities with Faizal. "

"See, Alankrita? That's why I need you- you're my rock," she grabbed hold of Alankrita's hand dramatically, "And having you by my side will give me the courage and determination I need to make this memorable for him,"Anu said, and very quickly added, "Also if Farhaan doesn't have a date he'll have to join us on the cruiser and that will really spoil the mood."

When Alankrita didn't say anything, Anu groaned.

"Ally, listen. Farhaan is a great guy. Remember the Literary Fest play last year? You guys were laughing all the time backstage and that onstage kiss seemed like it was more than just an onstage kiss," Anu said, wiggling her eyebrows.

"Okay, first of all, I had my braces last year, so the laughing was probably at my enormous incisors. And the onstage kiss was on his cheek."

"But he was blushing for a whole hour after the play ended! Also, I know for a fact that he has a huge crush on you and has your picture on his phone."

"Excuse me?" Alankrita's eyebrows shot up her forehead, "how do you know that?"

"I have my sources," Anu said suspiciously.

"Faizal is a terrible brother."

"But he's sweet, charming, and cute and can sing and dance like he's in a Broadway musical. And he has a brother who is totally and completely the same. The amazing brother in question who, and for this you should thank your lucky stars, is totally in love with you." Anu said, a grin forming on her mouth.

Alankrita giggled and said, "Well it's not like I had plans anyway." Anu squealed and pulled Alankrita into a trachea-crushing hug.

"Thank youuu!"

Alankrita spluttered and wheezed for breath, and Anu finally released her.

"Okay, now it's your turn," she said, her eyes still glinting with happiness, "what's this 'really important thing' that made you ignore your one and only best friend?" Alankrita was about to answer when the class suddenly fell silent and she heard a few gasps. Anu turned to the door and she followed suit.

Standing there, looking completely out of place, was none other than Ruhan, looking like he'd been staying up for a whole week. His face was dull, his shoulders were slumped and there was an emptiness in his eyes. But what stood out most was the purple bruise on the right side of his face.

*****