Chapter 23: Cross' Revelation

Start from the beginning

Cross huffs. He stares at the three Knights before him, all of them intent on convincing him to join their side. He knows better and he has power almost equal to that of Apollyon's.

With a sigh knowing that Amber is right, he relents.

Cross: "Guards, dismissed." He says to the guards, both of whom limped their way out of the room and closed the door afterwards.

Cross throws the sword he is holding to Ademar who barely catches it and walks towards a chest at the corner of his office. From it, he takes out a smaller chest and puts it on his table, and opens it. He takes out from the smaller chest a medallion of gold and silver with a small emerald on one side and steel on the other side; engraved on the latter are the initials (A.L.)

Cross: "Then so be it." He says as he walks to Amber. "If you meet him again, in time, give this back to him." Cross says as he hands Amber the medallion.

Amber takes it and looks at it for a moment, admiring the small but bright emerald gem embedded in the gold and silver, before realizing whose medallion is it.

It's (Argen's) medallion.

Amber: "This is (Argen's) medallion. You kept it all this time?" Amber asks him.

Cross: "The time will come that he will return, and that time is near. Perhaps your tenacity will bring us closer to him." He replies.

Amber: "So you truly knew... but how I am supposed to give this back to him? I don't even know where he is at." She asks.

Cross: "You do know where he is, Peltaris. That Saidan Anaximander you met, is (Argen) Lorderius himself." He reveals to them.

Time seemed to stop for the four Knights. Cross just said that the man that Amber was directed to by (Argen) is (Argen) himself all along. But how?

Ademar: "Whoa whoa, wait... So you're saying that the leader of the renegades that Amber met is (Argen)?" Ademar questions him.

Cross: "That is correct." He simply says.

Davius: "But how is that possible...?" Davius asks, but he trails off as he realizes something.

Cross: "(Argen) knew that his fame has travelled wide, not just in Ashfeld. Had he not assumed a different identity, he would have failed right from the start. In order for his plan to work, he needs someone who is essentially not him while simultaneously being him so he can direct everything his way. You know that it is him, right?" He asks Amber.

Amber: "I suspected, but I never thought that it would be him." Amber says.

Ademar: "That would explain why you found his father among the renegades." Ademar comments.

Davius: "That also explains his sudden disappearance. He must've immediately assumed the identity of Saidan Anaximander as soon as he left us back in Svengard." Davius, this time comments.

Cross: "Then it seems that I don't need to explain it any further." The Lawbringer says as he sits back down.

Amber: "Cross, I just want to make sure. Are you on our side?" She asks him.

Cross: "Yes, I am. You don't have to worry. This meeting never existed." Cross says without hesitation. That alone was enough for Amber.

Amber: "That's all I need to know. Thank you."

The three Wardens salute before leaving the office, with Ademar returning back the sword to it's rack and Davius opening the door for Amber and Ademar. Outside is Mercy standing guard beside the doorway.