chapter o7;

In a long corridor with numerous doors, sometimes made of see-through material, the sound of footsteps echoed in the silence. The building was neither old nor futurist, it was really banal. It looked like the usual building full of working offices. Although the world had been falling apart completely, the trackers decided to keep some cities in a proper state to live in. Some big cities became some of the main refuges for the murderous species, and it made it seem like it was still "human"... as long as you ignore that the creatures living here were nothing like human apart from their appearance.

            In the long corridor with numerous doors, the sound of footsteps became louder and clearer, the heels hitting the ground. Jungkook was walking lazily and entered a room with a big table in the middle surrounded by chairs. The whole thing seemed like a meeting because ten trackers were already gathered here, Taehyung included. Everyone was dressed fashionably, some were wearing tee-shirt with a jacket, and others were wearing shirts opened on the chest made of thin material. The only element that was possessed and worn with pride by everyone was the brooch identifying them as Elite Trackers.

            It was a brooch with chains displaying a gradation starting from cold silver to bright gold shining like the sun. The main part of the brooch was well-detailed represented a flower made of silver that was linked to a golden sword with the chains.

            This very brooch represented their affiliation with the Elite Gastronomic Section, an exceptional section that NamJoon, Taehyung and Jungkook were part of. They were the elite and should never be underestimated because they were the most powerful team among the trackers. They were meant to hunt the best preys.

            At least, Jungkook didn't chose the wrong door.

            Noticing the heavy silence that fell upon his arrival, the young tracker decided to speak, bowing enough for it to be noticeable, but not excessively to be too apologetic.

-          Excuse me for being late, some unexpected things happened, he said, waiting for some reaction from his superior, Taehyung.

-          Oh, don't worry, Taehyung answered while looking at the document in his delicate hands, not sparing any attention to his disciple, it's only us that were right in time, Jungkook.

Taehyung finally raised his clear sharp gaze to look at his disciple without offering him any smile. Jungkook couldn't help but grind his teeth while some trackers mocked him lightly for the comment Jungkook received from his superior.

He really disliked being turned into a fool in front of so many people, but this time... he couldn't retort anything. Not in this situation. Moreover, the young tracker didn't really show the respect due to his superior lately, so Taehyung wouldn't go easy on him for the days to come, or even the weeks and months.

Jungkook still clicked his tongue before sitting on one of the last two free chairs around the table. He ran a hand through his hair quickly, which was a sign of his embarrassment when his face didn't show anything.

-          Just know that you're really lucky today, Jungkook. He won't be here for our annual meeting tonight, so you'll be easily excused.

Being late for those meetings could really hurt someone's reputation, but thankfully the head of the team, superior even to Taehyung, wasn't here this day.

The head of the team, this "he" that Taehyung subtly mentioned and the trackers never dared to pronounce the name. It was him.

It was a chance for Jungkook, he escaped the anger of the head, the one who was in charge to bring the excellence to the important people of the trackers' world. Otherwise, the "baby tracker" wouldn't have lasted long in the section. Even if Taehyung was the principal superior he had interaction with, as well as NamJoon, Jungkook knew there was still someone ranked higher than those two.