тwᴇɴтʏ ғɪvᴇ

Amazon | Twenty Five

The mood was solemn as they entered Athens; Deacon's body was laid out on a cart they had bought off a person in a small town. Rhea looked over at Bastian, he had become very distant and had they had not slept in the same bed for many nights since Deacon's death. Achilios rode next to her, the young boy understood the mood was solemn and he had not spoken a word since witnessing the death.

Bastian had ordered two of his men to help him take Deacon's body to his family – the rest were allowed to go home, even Deacon's men. Rhea and Achilios followed Bastian at his orders. When they got to the home of Bastian's parents Rhea felt as if she was going to suffocate. She felt horrible for Anthea who had just given birth to a son and then lost her husband.

Rhea slid off her horse and Achilios followed, Bastian then stepped in front of her and she avoided looking him in the eye. "Rhea," his voice was gruff but softy, it was coated with hurt. His hand swept under her chin and lifted her face to look up at him, "I love you."

"I love you too," she whispered thickly and leaned forward to brush his lips against her forehead.

"Please," he held out his arm and she slipped her hand through his arm to hold onto him. "I need you there to tell my parents."

"Of course," Rhea answered quietly as she told Achilios to stay where he was.

They entered and Anthea was holding her newborn, "Oh," Anthea's cheeks coloured. "You have come back so soon, did you not wish to go to your people Rhea?"

"We are going to marry," Bastian grunted and turned to order one of the servants to collect his grandmother and parents.

"Where is Deacon?" His mother asked as Rhea stood behind Bastian.

"That is what I am here to tell you," Bastian swallowed heavily, "He is on the wagon."

"Will he be coming inside?" His grandmother asked.

"No," Bastian squeezed his eyes shut and Rhea laid her hand on his shoulder, squeezing to show her support. "He betrayed me," Bastian's shoulders shook as he tried to keep his voice steady. "He attacked me and I had no choice, he was going to kill me and it was self-defence." He hung his head, "I am so sorry, I did not want to have to kill my brother."

Anthea gasped and cuddled her baby closer to her chest. Bastian's mother began to cry as her mother wrapped her arms around her, the old woman looking so shocked and hurt. Bastian's father did not look surprised; Rhea hadn't been surprised by the attack either. But Anthea, Bastian, Bastian's mother and grandmother were shaking; they were all shocked and hurt by Deacon's betrayal.

None of them wanted to believe what had happened. None of the family wanted to believe that Deacon could have tried to kill his younger brothers. Rhea was pulled forward by Bastian and he wrapped his arm around her, quiet sobs filled the silent room and Rhea squeezed her eyes shut. She didn't know what to do. Maximos stood up and made his presence known.

"Rhea, Bastian," his voice was gruff, "Follow me."

They followed Maximos outside to where he stormed up to the wagon. Achilios darted toward Rhea and stood beside her, staring silently at the ground as Rhea laid her hand on his back and led him toward Maximos who had his hands on his hips. Deacon was wrapped up but it seemed that Maximos knew it was his son. Maximos sighed heavily as he turned to Bastian.

"I apologise for your brother," Maximos looked right at Bastian which was not difficult due to their similar height – Deacon had been so much taller.