Chapter 8: Change of heart?

[ Dallas' POV ]

Tuesday evening, September 13th
-
How does someone like Edith worship God even when He took her mother away?
I used to believe what my mom said but now it's all faded into the past and I believe my dad now, because it's honestly the truth. How can God take away everything I have and yet Edith claims that He loves me.

If you love someone wouldn't you want to give them the absolute best? I would.
Yet my life has been total chaos and God hasn't done anything to change it.

My family is broken, I'm a mess of a person, and pretty soon Travis and Edith will get rid of me as well. It'll all come around full circle and nothing will ever change.

Let's take a look at this week so far, shall we?

Travis hasn't said that much to me and grunts in reply of anything I ask. Edith gives me these awkward smiles and hasn't spoken to me either, yet she thinks I'm the bipolar one!

I have noticed one thing though...
Edith has been leaving notes around the house and I'm intending they're for me. I pick them up and throw them away without reading them, I have no interest in what they say.
It's probably a scripture or something positive. If she can write me a note then why doesn't she just say what she wants to my face.

She's trying to butter you up. What she wants is to break you down so you'll voluntarily go with her to youth group.

So? I'm not going.

Edith interrupts my thoughts.

"Hey Dallas.. I'll make you a deal, okay?" She seemed a little nervous but also looked like she was ready to spill everything all at once, there was no in between.

"Knowing you you'll probably change everything around just to make yourself feel better." I stop mucking out the stall to look at her.

"Maybe... well not exactly. Look-" She grabs the other pitch fork and begins helping me. "If you go to youth group then I'll drive you to your hometown so you can visit your mothers grave. We can stop and get coffee and some donuts on the way."

I grabbed her pitch fork and shook my head. "Oh Edith... Edith Edith Edith." I say slowly and chuckle. This girl was comical.

"What?" She fiddles with the bottom of her flannel shirt.

"That's not what I asked you. I never asked you to take me there." I pull the wheelbarrow out of the stall.

"I know you didn't, Dallas. But... I know you miss her." She looks up at my face finally. "Wouldn't you like to go visit her grave? I visit my moms often and it makes me feel somewhat better."

"So that's what you call a date? Going to a graveyard sounds like so much fun." I replied sarcastically and huff. "Forget it."

"You're holding anger in your hands and sadness is weighing down on your shoulders. Give it to God! He'll be your burden bearer."

"I'm so stupid to think that things might actually 'work' between us. Everything that comes out of your mouth has something to do with God and I'm sick of it." I grab a pen and mark off on my to-do list. I could see the reverse psychology working already. In 3..2..1.. she'll beg me to go with her.

I don't even look up as she steps in front of me.

"Dallas.. I know we haven't seen eye to eye but I'm trying to make you feel at home here. It's up to you to take what I'm offering." She folds her arms across her chest.

"Desperate are we?" I push past her and grab a saddle to clean.

"N-No! You're really.. really pushing my patience." She sighs and leans against a stall.

"You make it look hot. You know, when you get all flustered like that." I smirk a little as I look up at her.

"Stop that." She grumbles.

I could feel her eyes on me as I started cleaning the saddle. "How do I know you won't drop the deal once you get me to youth group?"

She pulls a dusty wooden stool closer to me and sits on it. "Because I stay true to my word. You never have to worry about me breaking my promises, so I promise you that I won't break the deal."

"Right.. I've trusted others in my lifetime and it's gotten me nowhere." I reply smartly. Thinking about everything that's happened to me was really making me bitter.

"Come with me." There it is! She's begging me now like I knew she would. "The only thing that'll fill the gaping hole in your heart is Jesus. I promise to keep my word, Dallas."

I almost felt guilty because I could sense that she cared about my well being.

"Hell is real and it's a terrible place. I'm telling you these things for your own good, Dallas." Her voice was getting thicker with every word. She was acting like a mother who only wanted the best for her child.
"You're not going to be able to repent when you're standing in front of God on Judgement day so that's why you need to fix your heart here and now."

"Soooooo scary." I snicker as I push my hair out of my eyes. "How can you honestly believe that stuff."

"This is not anything to joke about." Edith sounded as if she was on the verge of tears. "You get on my nerves but I can't stand the thought of you going to hell, of anyone ending up there."

When I looked up at her I saw her quickly wipe away a tear that ran down onto her cheek. "Okay, Edith. I'll go with you to youth group. I'll sit and look pretty until it's over but if I don't want to go back then you can't make me."

"I don't want to make you do anything." She stands up and kicks at a small rock with her old cowgirl boots. The pink camouflage was fading with age and from being out in the weather. "I just want to show you that someone wonderful is out there who loves you dearly and His name is Jesus. It's your choice if you want to surrender your life to Him completely."

"Are we done here? My chores aren't going to do themselves, your homework isn't going to do itself, and your dad would be pissed to find us down here alone together." I tried to make it seem like I didn't care and a part of me honestly didn't. But then a tiny part of me wanted to believe that there's really something out there for me.

"Yeah... yeah I think we are." She says softly. "This conversation is a secret safe with me."

"Good. Now go." I felt guilty when I realized how harsh I was when she just poured out her emotions about someone she loved. "Please."

"Going." She says and turns to walk out of the dusty old barn. The air was getting chillier the later it got so I was debating on following her.

She cares for me. Someone actually cares about me.

You like her.

Do not...

Okay, keep telling yourself that. Keep telling yourself that nothing will happen between the two of you.

Shut up. I know my feelings and they aren't changing anytime soon, or ever.

Sure sure. I believe that statement one hundred percent.

===================================
So sorry that I haven't been uploading any chapters!

Question 1: Do you like Dallas & Edith together?

Question 2: What would you rate Edith's character on a scale from 1 to 10?

Question 3: What would you like to see more of?

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Vote, give feedback, & share with your friends!

~ Xoxo Madison Grace