V

A/N: this chapter is sort of boring but it's necessary to the story, I promiseeee

zak

Throughout the whole entire week, Darryl and I kept our eyes on George, since he was the only one that genuinely hinted towards being a demon. Other people's actions always had a logical explanation behind it, so until we get better evidence, George is the prime suspect.

I also decided that spying on Clay's driveway was kind of weird. Yes, he was my next door neighbor, but still... that's another level of stalking. I don't need to get up in his business like that.

Things we gathered this week: George spends a lot of time with Jack. I mean... the two of them whisper to each other all the time. I guess I never noticed until now, since I never had the means of paying attention to stuff like this.

"Do you thinks it's possible that there's two demons?" I question Darryl, sitting in my gaming chair. It was Thursday night, the night before Zelk's big party. I was quite nervous for that, since I wasn't the biggest party kid.

The angel stared at me blankly. "I have no idea," He admitted. I smiled.

Not only did we keep eyes on George, but that week I also worked on making Darryl's language more "modern". Less like shakespeare, more like a depressed teen. It's been going well enough, to the point where he's saying stuff like "it be like that sometimes". Even though he hates it.

"Let's just consider it. Why else would an immortal-energy kid be whispering to another kid?" I pointed out. I started scribbling down that idea in my notebook. "You know what I was thinking? So you know how in all of the cop movies... they have like a board with pictures of suspects and strings attached to different things? We should make one of those."

The guardian stared at me blankly once again. I busted out laughing. "You have no idea what I'm talking about, do you?"

Darryl smiled and shook his head. "I'll help you create it, though. The string picture thing."

"Don't say it like that! It makes it sound weird!" I exclaimed with a smile. "Okay, so we gotta keep our eyes on those two tomorrow."

"Our?" Darryl questioned. "I will not attend that party. I've only known Zelk for a few days," He argued, crossing his arms.

I frowned at his wording. "First of all, say 'there is no way I'm going to that party' instead of whatever you just said. Second of all, who's going to protect me from the demons? You're my guardian after all."

Darryl pouted. "There's no way I'm going to that party, Zak! I do not understand how they function!"

I rolled my eyes. "Everyone starts somewhere. If you don't go know, you'll never go to one. And that's on periodt."

The angel blinked, staring at me with confusion. "That's... that's on... a punctuation mark?"

I started to laugh again, reminding myself that Darryl still doesn't know most modern terms. "Periodt T!" I exclaimed, trying to explain to him the word. I decided to make something up. "If someone says 'on periodt', that means you have to do it and you'll die if you don't."

Darryl stared at me with wide eyes. Then he chuckled. "Silly period with a t, I am immortal."

"Oh my God," I murmured, staring at Darryl. "Come on, just go to the party! It'll be fun, I promise."

The angel furrowed his eyebrows. "Suppose we need a suit? We need to look nice for this party," He told me. He looked genuinely worried about not having a suit, it made me want to laugh again.

"Nah, Zelk's parties aren't like the fancy dances you went to in the 50s," I explained to him. "You kind of just show up, drink a little, dance a little, go crazy go stupid."

"Drink? As in alcohol? Aren't you a little young?"

I stared at him. "Ok boomer," I replied jokingly.

The shock on Darryl's face was amusing.

"I'm kidding. Yes, we're underage, but it's fine. Everyone does it. Live a little."

"I am living."

"No... it's metophorical- you know what? I'm not even going to explain it," I sighed, sitting back into my gaming chair. "So, we agreed that we're both going to this party, and we're both keeping our eyes on Jack and George?" I stated, waiting for an agreeement.

Darryl groaned. "Fine. But I'm not drinking."

"Deal," I replied. "You're going to have fun. Trust me."

A/N: be excited for next chapter >:)