XI

zak

It was on Thursday night. The night before Zelk's party was the night it happened.

When I heard Clay's Jeep pull out of his driveway, I sat up from my bed instantly. I quickly rushed to my dresser, grabbing a pair of sweatpants quickly to put over my boxers. I thought to grab a shirt or fix my messy hair, but I realized I didn't have enough time.

I ran out of my bedroom, racing down to the living room where Darryl was asleep on the couch. Unlike me, he sleeps fully clothed. He's sort of weird that way. I snatched my mom's keys off of the hook. They were very rusty, since I wasn't really allowed to use her car. But she and my dad always take my dad's truck to work, so her car is always home.

"Darryl!" I shouted. The angel jolted into a sitting position while I rushed to the window, watching Clay's Jeep take a left. "He's leaving! We gotta go!!"

Darryl groaned, but he stood up quickly while I hurried out the door and into my driveway in my bare feet. I unlocked her car with her keys before I jumped into the driver's seat. I started the vehicle while Darryl placed himself more gracefully in the passenger's seat. I put the car in reverse, and before he even closed his door, I hit the gas.

I drove pretty quickly to catch up the green Jeep, and when I turned the corner I began to slow down, knowing I couldn't have Clay spot me. "Put on your seatbelt," Darryl mumbled in his sleepy voice. I turned and glared at the guardian, but did as he asked anyway.

Once I got the hang of it, I found that I was actually pretty good at secretly following people. That sounds creepy and stalker-ish at first, but it's really a good skill to have in our situation. I was impressed and proud of myself.

"Are you cold?" Darryl asked me. I was confused at first, but then I remembered that I was shirtless and shoeless. That also reminded me that my hair is messy as hell.

I grunted. "Sort of, but I guess that's my own fault," I replied, running my fingers through the bird's nest on my head at an attempt to fix it. It was no use.

I jumped when I felt Darryl placed his palm on my bare chest, taken aback. I looked over at him in surprise, but he just gave me a small smile in reply. That's when I started feeling warmth radiate from his hand, into my chest and spreading throughout my body.

"Thanks," I told him. "I actually appreciate that, thank you."

Darryl shrugged. "It's the least I can do. You seem more invested in the demon case than I am, and I'm the one who's supposed to be solving it," He pointed out. "You're a good help."

Then I remembered what I learned the previous day. What Vincent had told me in History class. It hurt me, that such close friends were my enemies. That's when I decided that the best choice would be to tell Darryl about it. He was the angel, after all. He knows what's best.

"Darryl, I think I know where Clay is going," I told him nervously. A knot twisted in my stomach. "I think he's going to Vincent's house."

Darryl raised an eyebrow at my assumption. "What makes you think that?" He questioned curiously, realizing that I hadn't told him something.

"Yesterday... during seventh period, Vincent tried to tell me something. He looked nervous, worried, and scared. It was heartbreaking," I explained to the guardian. "But the bell interrupted him. He ranted about having to go and then dipped before I could say anything."

"So you think Vincent is the other demon?" Darryl questioned. I nodded in reply. "Did you ask him about it at school today?"

That's when I looked over at him. "That's the thing; he didn't come to school today," I informed him. "That's why Clay chose today to go. Vincent didn't show up for a reason, and do you think it's a coincidence that Clay happens to decide to visit him on a day he was 'sick'?" I pointed out.

Darryl sighed. "I guess not."

We sat in silence as we followed Clay. Let's just say that I wasn't surprised when he turned into Vincent's neighborhood, driving down the road and up to his house. We pulled over about a block away, watching carefully as Clay walked up to the front door and entered.

"Suppose we should confront them now?" Darryl suggested.

I shook my head. "It would be better to catch them in the act. That way they can't make up a lie about it," I explained. "We should wait a little."

But as we waited, something else kept nagging me. It was something that made me feel sick. After dealing with this the whole ride there, I came to the conclusion that I had to clarify something to Darryl.

"Hey Darryl?" I asked.

"Yes?"

"Do you promise not to hurt Clay and Vincet? You know... if they're the demons?"

"What?"

"Just promise me, please..."

"Okay, okay. I promise."

I gave the angel a small smile. "Thanks," I replied. "I think we can approach the house now."

Darryl nodded. I shifted the vehicle in gear, pressing my foot lightly on the gas pedal. I drove my mom's car up to Vincent's house, parking it outside before getting out.

Together, Darryl and I made our way up to the front door. Once we reached it, I knocked on it respectfully. I heard shuffling from inside, then the door swung open, revealing Vincent's mom.

"Hey, is Vincent here?" I questioned innocently, as if I didn't know already.

"Yes, him and Clay are studying up in his room," She replied.

"Oh, yeah... Darryl and I were invited to that," I explained to her and flashed her a polite smile.

Vincent's mom shook her head. "Vincent only told me that Clay was coming," She replied with confusion.

"Self-invited," I answered. "We're surprising him. May we please come in?"

With a sigh, his mother stepped to the side. Darryl and I stepped into the house, immediately making our way up the stairs. I took a left down the hallway, since I already knew where Vincent's room was.

The door was closed. Of course.

I opened it without warning, expecting to catch them in the act of evil activity. Instead... they were... kissing?

Clay pulled away from Vincent in shock and horror. Vincent looked over at Darryl and I with confusion and anger. "Zak? What the hell?!" He exclaimed.

I blinked, wide-eyed with the situation. "I... I can explain!" I exclaimed desperately.

A/N: two chapters in one day? wow, i'm spoiling you children