¶Eighteen

Dedicated to BibitayoArchibong  I think I secretly love your comments the most. Lol thank you

Muyiwa texted me first thing on Saturday morning to remind me of our date. How would I possibly forget?

I got up and went around the house doing chores. Isaac had mentioned that he would leave the house early this morning because he had lessons for his WAEC exams coming up next year.

Mom and Grandma were gisting, so I went to greet them.

"So mummy, one of my friends wants to go see a movie today and I wanted to ask for your permission," I said slowly and with caution, careful to pick my words well because knowing my mom, the slightest mistake would give away the fact that I was going out with a boy.
She and Grandma made eye contact and then she turned to face me. My mom didn't say anything for the longest time instead she just looked at me and I felt terribly awkward just standing there in silence.
"What time is the movie you want to go for?" she asked me finally.
"It's by 12," I said.
"Okay then you can go I guess," she said. I was about to thank her but she spoke again.
"Is this friend a boy or girl?" she asked, her intensely Nigerian mom eyes piercing into my soul, daring me to try and lie to her.
Luckily for me, Isaac entered the room in that moment shouting.
"Can you imagine this my stupid school?!" he yelled and waved his phone in the air. Immediately mom and grandma's attention diverted to him.
I ran out of the parlour as quietly as I could. Thank God for overdramatic older brothers.

***

The cinema wasn't busy when I got there which was weird since I knew most people chose weekends to go watch movies. Muyiwa was already there when I arrived which was really nice. At least for today I could pretend I didn't have any family issues and just enjoy a guy's attention. "I got our popcorn already, let's go inside," he said, with a smile. His eyes ran over my body numerous times in an appraising manner. I was wearing a nude colored tank top with fitted jean shorts. It was a miracle I had managed to escape the house in the outfit because I knew for sure my mom's head would explode if she had seen me try to leave the house in my current attire.

I had thrown on a wig just to look a bit older than my little age of fifteen. Muyiwa was three years older than me and the obvious physical difference in our ages made me self conscious.

He bent down slightly until his lips were near my left ear. "You look really really good Irene," he whispered. A small tingle ran through my body and I tried not to blush at his words.
I managed to choke out a thank you from my temporarily paralysed vocal chords and then proceeded to go into the cinema hall for our movie.

We talked almost halfway through the movie, laughing and stealing popcorn from each other which felt unbelievably romantic for some reason to me.
"So tell me Irene, did you ever date anyone before you came to Trinity?" he asked in a low tone. His eyes were on the screen but I knew he wasn't focused on it because I felt his arm slip around me as he rested his palm on my shoulder.
I suddenly felt uncomfortable. The most body contact we had made so far was hand holding but something about the way his hand felt on my shoulder didn't sit well. Don't be such a prude Irene, it's just a shoulder.
"No. Never, no one was interested in me that way," I said.
Muyiwa turned to look at me and in the low light of the cinema I could see he was smirking as usual.
"You do know you're hot right?"
"I'm sure you had the eye of many guys but you weren't just interested," he said.
His fingers were slowly stroking my shoulder in a cool, calculated manner.
"I doubt that, boys called me fat back in my old school," I said. "I didn't fit their image of attractive,".
His hands left my shoulder and slowly trailed down my arm. "You definitely fit mine," he said. The sultry manner he spoke made me so uncomfortable, accompanied with his hand getting dangerously close to my chest.
I bent down suddenly and pretended to look for something on the floor just to get rid of his hand on my bare arm.
God, Irene why didn't you wear something with longer sleeves? And why is he being so weird?
I sat properly again and attempted to change the topic. I didn't want to discuss my "attractiveness" with him.

"How's your dad doing?" I asked.
"Is he better now?"
Muyiwa sighed. "Yes he is, it makes me sad to see him on the hospital bed still, but he's definitely recovering," he said. "Thank God for that," I said. The air felt awkward.
"Let's not talk about my dad right now," Muyiwa said and then he turned to face me. I felt compelled to look back at him.
He put his hand on my knee and smiled. I don't know if it was because of the lighting or if it wasn't, but the smile looked creepy and nothing at all like the charming Muyiwa smile I was used to.
"I like you Irene," he said. His hands moved up north slowly but surely.
His fingers knead my thighs with expert precision and I felt my heart hammer against my chest. This doesn't feel right. "I really really like you," he whispered this time, his face coming closer to mine.
I felt terribly self conscious. There weren't many people watching this particular movie but still what if someone was watching us. I didn't want this. Especially not here.
"I know you like me too," he said, his hot breathe fanning my cheek. I'm sure in the novels or movies, this would be described as hot or sexy or whatever but honestly that just creeped me out even more.
I placed my hand against his hand that was on my thigh and took it off.
"Muyiwa what are you doing?" I asked, my voice shaky.
He placed his hand back on my leg, this time higher than before.
He brought his face even closer and pressed his lips on my cheek.
"Don't be shy," he murmured.
I felt myself shudder in repulsion.
I pushed him back from me, not too roughly in order not to draw attention to us.
"Muyiwa stop, not here," I whisper shouted. Or anywhere else for that matter. I don't want this.
"But we don't have anywhere else, look we can be quiet, just let me touch you, I'll be gentle," he said and placed his hand directly on top of my shorts.
I jerked back as far as the cinema chair would allow me and instinctively slapped him in the face. He cursed and I quickly grabbed my bag and made my way out of the row where we were sitting in.
I knew he wouldn't try to chase me here. It would have been to obvious to anyone else in the cinema.
I got out and ran to the ladies bathroom.
My heart was pounding and I tried to calm myself down as I got out my phone to order an Uber.
When I ordered my Uber, I washed my face in the sink and cautiously left the cinema to the parking lot.

Muyiwa was not a good person and I definitely did not intend to ever speak to him again after today.

***

Monday morning came after the disastrous date and the first thing I heard when I stepped into class was Amira announcing to everyone that Muyiwa had been bragging to his boys that I let him 'hit' in the cinema on Saturday.

A/N: I'm a terrible author, but here's an update in hopes that you all would forgive me.

Thank you to those who still stick around. Ily<3

Like. Comment. Share

xoxo,
Olly.