¶One

"Adaeze will you finally make up your mind on a school?!" my mother asked, as she weaved my hair. We were in my room.

She was the only person aside from grandma who I let touch my hair, from when I was born till date no one touched my hair except them.
I looked at the three pamphlets I had held and creased in so many places because of how much I had looked at them.
"How can I choose?!! They're just so amazing," I said, with a dramatic sigh.

"Lekwanu, look at this child o. It is when first of September will come and go that's when you will realize that you should have chosen sooner," she said, bending my head.
"Okay okay, so which one do you like?" I asked.
"Sarafina of course, the girls look so pretty in their uniforms," said my mom.

After we had gotten the mail and celebrated with chilled coke and Netflix movie marathon, mom and I had gone the next day to check out all the schools. They'd all been so beautiful and I nearly cried during the tours.

"But I'm saying no no no to Sarafina o," I stated, placing the pamphlet aside.

"Why? It's the best for me," my mom whined.

"It's an all girls school mom, I hate those," I said.

"I went to an all girls school you know?" she said as if it was the best thing on earth.

'Yeah I know and you ended up so boy starved that you married the first douche who flirted with you after you graduated....and he left you after having two kids for him' I wanted to say, but held my tongue. I did not want a slap this morning and it wasn't a fair thing to say to her.

"I want to have a chance to scope fine boys na," I joked.

My mom used her knee to hit my back playfully.

I threw myself on the ground over dramatically and grabbed my heart.

At that moment Isaac walked in and spotted me on the ground.
I looked at him trying to look like I was about to take my last breathe.

He went on his knees immediately and looked up to heaven,"God you know I've been waiting for this day for years. Thank you so much," he said, pretending to cry.

Idiot.

I hissed and grabbed the pamphlets and threw at him even though they just floated in the air and fell to the ground.

Him and mom laughed at me and I rolled my eyes at them.
"I'm the only normal person in this family," I said going back to sit with my mom so she could finish up my hair.

"Please stop deceiving yourself. You know you're the one who is most likely to run mad sef," said Isaac, picking up the pamphlets and sitting in front of me.

He looked at all of them quietly and all of us soon got caught up in our own thoughts.

"I think you should go to Trinity," he said, dropping the pamphlets on my lap.

"Why?! It's not as flamboyant as Kingston and Sarafina, even though I was never considering Sarafina to begin with," I said.

"There's nothing wrong an all girls school o," my mom said.

"There is so much wrong with all girls schools," Isaac and I said with the same tone.

"So as I was saying.... If you actually read these pamphlets which I'm sure you haven't," he said, eyeing me.
I stuck out my tongue at him.

"....you'd notice that the academic competition at both Kingston and Sarafina is incredibly high, and I'm not saying you're dumb but you're also playful, Trinity is the only school out the three that will let you play and still study and not feel like you're trying to learn rocket science throughout secondary school," he said.

I definitely did NOT see that when reading the pamphlets. I basically just looked at the pretty pictures and the mention of the free food in the cafeteria.

"And also...as much as I love you, I do not want to be in the same school with you," he added with a big smile.

I hissed and slapped his head playfully.

My mom kneed me again."Stop hitting your brother Adaeze," she said even though I'm sure she knew I didn't even slap him hard.

"I should have known you had ulterior motives," I said. It hadn't even occurred to me throughout everything that Kingston was Isaac's school.
I did not want to go to a place where I'd be referred to as 'Isaac's little sister'.

I sighed and picked up the pamphlet for Trinity Academy.

"I think I'll be going to Trinity then," I said.

So I know this chapter isn't all that, but I'm trying to build a little background before jumping straight into the story so bear with me.
Vote. Comment.
And don't forget that vanilla isn't the best ice cream flavor.