"So what's the name of this your friend?" asked my mom as she drove me to Amina's house. Her address had been sent to our class group chat and it was surprising to find out that she actually didn't leave too far from where I lived.
She's not my friend, I answered internally. "Her name's Amina," I replied looking out the window.
"Do you have a gift already for her or should we stop at any store nearby and get her something?" asked my mom. Getting Amina a present had not even crossed my mind, my mom must have sensed that because she announced that she'd stop at a store and get something.

Fifteen minutes later, I got down from my mom's car in front of Amina's huge house. "Nawa o, her parents must have money," my mom announced admiring the house. I nodded in agreement even though I didn't want to. Her house was very stunning.
"Call me when you're tired or when the party's over okay?"
"Or when I get a bellyache," I added with a laugh knowing my mom would get the pun.
She smiled at me, "I don't know who told you that you're funny," she said.
"Haba, but you laughed," I replied.
"So that you won't feel bad," she said.
I held my chest in mock hurt.
My mom laughed and then drove off after wishing me goodbye.
I exhaled and felt my smile disappear as I turned to face the house. Time to get this over with.  I walked up to the gate and pressed the bell that was there, within seconds the gate began to open by itself which startled me before I realized it was an electronic gate. I silently hoped no one inside could see my reaction.

When I got to the front door, it was already open and I walked in awkwardly seeing no one in sight.  Was I too early? God why me na?
"Miss Amina is at the back house with her guests," said a female's voice that made me jump.
I turned around and saw a lady who looked like she might me older than me by a few years, from the way she addressed Amina I came to the conclusion that she was probably a worker in the house. "Thank you," I replied and walked out of the house.

"The back house", as the worker had put it was just as stunning as the main house. There were little round tables in front of it where I noticed some of my classmates and setmates gisting, taking selfies or snacking. There was loud music coming from the inside.
I reached for my phone to try and call one of the boys.
"Daeze!" shouted the all too familiar voice of Damien. I looked up and saw him running up to me looking really nice. He was wearing a brown turtleneck that hugged his torso well and black pants and really nice looking shoes. As he got closer I saw he balanced out the when outfit with a simple chain that had a cross pendant. He looked so fancy that I felt do underdressed in my short sleeved fitted peach dress and simple black pumps.

"You look really nice," he said, grinning at me.
"You look like you came for a fancy event," I said, eyeing his torso.
"You haven't even seen what people are wearing inside, everyone already knows you don't dress casually to Amina's parties, the whole thing always feels like a fashion competition," he replied with a shrug.

I instantly felt self conscious. "I didn't know all that, why didn't you guys mention it this morning?"
"Chill Daeze, you look really good, better than most girls anyway, believe me," he said.
I looked at him and nodded choosing to believe him. He laughed at my gesture.
"What?" I asked, curious. He just shook his head and pulled me towards the party.

***

The party was surprisingly fun and uneventful. Amina definitely ensured she let everyone know her parents were richer than everyone's parents put together. She and Ejiro took couple pictures and made out in front of everyone repeatedly and honestly I got bored of watching them and just focused on the boys. Bolade and Edwards had spent it surrounded by girls and Damien and I just talked, danced and got to know each other. He was honestly so much better to hang around with whenever the others weren't with us.

"See you on Monday, Daeze," he had said, when my mom pulled up at Amina's house to pick me up.
"See you too," I had responded, giving him a hug.
He smirked at me.
"You realise you aren't complaining about me calling you Daeze again," he stated.
I smiled a bit when I realised he was right. I actually liked it when he called me that, not that it was anyone's business.
"Only because you're actually a nice person secretly,".
He winked at me. "Only for you,".
I groaned at that, "Don't be cringey abeg it doesn't suit you,".
He laughed at that.
"Better go to you car before your mother starts suspecting us," he whispered, looking behind me.
I nodded and said bye again before making my way to my mom's car.

"Is this one your boyfriend now?" was the first thing to exit my beloved mother's mouth as I buckled in.
I made the God forbid gesture and laughed. "He's a friend of mine who kept me company at the party it's not deep like that," I said.
"Hmmmm,".
"I'm serious!" I said my voice rising. If I didn't convince her that Damien wasn't my boyfriend, God knows she'll find a way to come to school just to talk to him.
"Okay ma, since you say so I trust you," she had said after a while.

I settled down in my seat and stared out the window while she drove. My phone suddenly pinged, letting me know I had a message.
I unlocked it and saw I had two messages from Muyiwa.

Muyiwa[4:13 pm]: hey junior! Lol just joking. How was your day?
Muyiwa[4:16pm]: definitely looking forward to tomorrow. Hope you are too.

I smiled at the texts but didn't reply them. Any smart person should know you don't text a crush when your parents are nearby to avoid unnecessary questioning.

***

Sksksksks!!!

QOC: can you relate to the personalities of any of the characters? Lemme know :)

THANK YOU GUYS AGAIN FOR EIGHT FREAKING THOUSAND FREAKING PLUS READSSS!!!!!!!

no fr...you guys are the bestttt and I appreciate you all to no end.

The voters, the commenters(my faves) and of course the silent readers( stares at you intensely) I love you all so muchh...

Don't forget to Like... Comment and Subscribe. Jk jk... Tell your friends about this book!