Chapter Five

The rest of the car ride is ridden in silence. I don’t trust him for all I know he’s taking me to my death but I have to take that chance, for Sasha. About three miles out of the suburbs Bryan turns onto a gravel driveway that seems to go on forever but finally we pull up to the most beautiful mansion I have ever seen. A brick walk way leads up to a marble stair case descending from to a porch with six white pillars. The grass is perfectly mowed and large flower pots line the walkway.

“Wow” I breathe out.

“I know, isn’t it gorgeous?”

Bryan pulls into a parking spot and turns off the car.

He looks at me “You ready?”

I look out the window, am I ready? I don’t know. For the first time I am going to meet someone who is just like me. I thought I was the only one.

I look at Bryan “I think so.”

He puts his hand on my knee and smiles “I’m right here, always.”

 I really wanted him to take his hand off my knee. What he just said was bordering sweet and creepy and I didn’t like it. We got out of the car and walked up the brick path, as I climbed the massive stairs I prepared myself to be bombarded. I could read people like a book and I noticed everything, this is another reason I didn’t go to parties. There were people milling about on the porch, talking, laughing. Out of all the things I noticed there was one thing that stood out. No one was drinking.

“She doesn’t stand for drinking.” Bryan said as we reached the top of the stairs.

I smiled, “My kind of girl.” He did it again, I wish he would stop.

We ambled through huge oak double doors with a few other people who had also just arrived. Once inside I looked around.

In the foyer a large glass chandler hung from a high ceiling and three high archways lead to the three main parts of the house. To the left, a massive dining room, to the right a large parlor, and straight ahead a spacious kitchen and wide marble staircase.

“Bryan!” My observations were interrupted by a girlish shriek. I turned around to see a beautiful girl throw her arms around Bryan and kiss him on the cheek. I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.

“Hey Sash!” Bryan winked at me over her shoulder…creep. Sasha stepped back and turned to me sticking out her hand, I shook it.

“Sasha Silvers, you must me Laurel. I’m so glad you came. Bryan’s told me a ton about you.”

“Oh?” I raised my eyebrow at Bryan but his gaze was fixated on Sasha. I wouldn’t blame him if he were remotely normal. She had a glamorous grace about her and her purple dress looked gorgeous against her espresso skin.

“You look great.” I said gesturing to her attire.

“Great? She looks stunning.” Bryan kissed her cheek.

“Oh, stop he’s so sweet isn’t he?” I almost laughed but managed to hold it back and nod.

Bryan and Sasha left to go grab some punch and I decided to continue my observations. I was being bombarded with information. Two conversing men to my left were talking about a TV show. One was a firefighter with a wife, two kids and a dog. The other was a single lawyer who had a bad habit od biting his nails. I walked through the archway to my right into the large parlor. Against the far wall was a white couch a glass front dresser with books inside. To the right there was a large window overlooking the front lawn and a large portrait of Sasha on a stand. I walked over to get a closer look.

“Oh brother.” Of course she had a huge portrait of herself.

“That bad huh?”

I turned around to see a guy about my age standing before me. He had close cropped blond hair, sapphire blue eyes, masculine jawline and dark, bold, eyebrows.

“It’s just a little excessive don’t you think?”

He stuck his hands in his pockets and smiled. I couldn’t read him like I can most people and it bothered me.

“That’s what I told her but she insisted it was a family tradition. I tried to capture her best I could.”

I had now realized my mistake. “You’re the artist?” He shrugged like it was no big deal. “I’m sorry; I don’t think it’s bad, it’s really good, identical in fact.”

“Thanks. I didn’t properly introduce myself… Joel. “He held out his hand avoiding direct eye contact and I shook it.

“I’m Laurel.”

“Bryan’s friend?” I nodded he looked concerned.

“Is something wrong?”

“Um . . . yeah, can I talk to you for a sec?” he grabbed my arm and walked out of the parlor and towards the staircase.

“I thought we were.”

“In private, where no one will hear”

“Okay . . . but, can you let go?”

He glanced at me and let go, “Yeah, sorry.”

As we ascended I tried to determine his motives. It bothered me I couldn’t read into him but for some reason I felt like I could trust him. When Joel reached the top he leaned against a rail overlooking foyer. Down below, people milled about displaying the usual signs of enjoyment. Joel silently observed them. There was something different about the way he watched them, something familiar, as if he was reading them. Then it something clicked in my mind and I finally got it.

“Your abnormal too!”

Joel smiled “I’m a little surprised it took you so long to figure that out. I’ve heard you’re good.”

“To be honest, tonight’s the first night I’ve ever encountered anyone like me.”

“Overwhelmed?”

“No, more relieved.” For the first time during our conversation Joel made eye contact and it was intense. His blue eyes paired with his bold eyebrows made for an intimidating gaze.

“Relived? You’re in more danger than ever.”

I was confused “How?”

“Bryan’s got us all under the same roof, the possibilities are endless. Now that he’s gotten away with killing Dylan and has Sasha wrapped around his repulsive finger he has the confidence to do major damage.”

“So she doesn’t know?”

Joel shook his head, “But that’s not what I brought you up here to talk about,” He leaned in, “There’s another.”

“Does he know? Who is it? How old are they?”

“Whoa, take a breather I’ll get to it.”

I took a deep breath and turned back to the crowd below. “I think I’m just a little overwhelmed.”

“I knew it, I can read you better than you can read yourself. Anyway, no, he doesn’t know and it’s going to stay that way got it?”

“Of course. So, who are they?”

“Her name’s Grace, she’s six.”