Chapter 10

Over 100 views! YASSSSS! Thank you guys!

Sophie and Fitz walked downstairs, hand in hand. "Sophie!" Biana gasped. "Fitz said that you couldn't come. And I thought that you were getting gifts with Keefe." She glared at Fitz.

"It's kind of a long story," Fitz said. Then he explained everything that happened, with Sophie filling in details. When he got to Keefe's death, everyone's eyes filled with tears. After the story was over, there was a mix of emotions. Relief at Sophie being back, sadness at Keefe's death, and anger with the Neverseen. 

After dinner, everyone decided to just go to bed, so they all went to their rooms and got changed. Once they were in their sleeping bags, Sophie asked Biana and Linh to fill her in on what she had missed. "Well, Tam and I are dating, and Linh and Dex are together," Biana told her.

"I'm so happy for you guys!" Sophie exclaimed. Suddenly, Sophie felt all of the blood rush to her head. "I don't feel so good," she mumbled. She coughed, and then all of her dinner ended up on the floor. An acidic taste filled her mouth as she heard Linh yell, "GET ELWIN!"

Sophie woke up in a room with white walls. Her first thought was that she was captured again, but then she heard familiar voices. As soon as she started to stir, the voices quieted, and she saw a face above her. "Elwin?" She asked.

"That's the best sound I've heard all day. We were all panicked, especially when Bullhorn laid down next to you," Elwin answered.

"He l-layed down?" Sophie asked, hoping she'd heard him wrong. Sadly, he shook his head, confirming her fears. "Do you know what happened?"

"Well," Dex started, anger clouding his features. "The Neverseen put a capsule in you that was filled with limbium. It was set to open if you ever escaped. My guess is that they knew that we would try to rescue you. Luckily, it was easy technology, and I was able to disable it before any more got into your bloodstream." Dex continued to ramble on about some technopath-y thing that no one could understand except him.

"Yep," Elwin continued, interrupting Dex. "And you should be good to go, after a day of bedrest." Sophie groaned.

She closed her eyes to rest, until she felt a hand gently rubbing her head. Sophie smiled up at Fitz, and then noticed Edaline, Alden, and Della giving them sappy smiles, while Grady gave her a look that seemed to say, Did we miss something?

I figured we'd have to tell them sooner or later, Fitz transmitted.

Yeah, Sophie replied.

"So, Sophie and I are kind of dating now," Fitz said hesitantly.

Everyone congratulated them, except for Grady, who said, "As long as you don't do anything too stupid, it's fine by me." Everyone cracked up.

"They... wouldn't be... stupid if... their... lives depended on... it," Della said through giggles. Edaline and Alden agreed.

"Can we maybe have a minute alone?" Fitz asked.

"After I talk to my charge," a squeaky voice announced.

"Sandor!" Sophie exclaimed. "I've missed you so much." She squeezed him, and he tentatively hugged back. 

Sophie tried to mentally prepare herself for a lecture, so she was surprised when all he said was, "I've missed you, too," he told her. "Just please try to be safe."

Sophie rolled her eyes. "Do you think that I want to be in danger all the time?"

"No, of course not. Anyway, that's all. Bye," he left the room.

"Ready for that minute alone?" Fitz asked Sophie.