• it's not the same •

ruels pov:

i watched as his hands fell quickly off the cliff.
everything was a blur from then on;
how y/n tried to jump too, but i grabbed her before she could.
how y/n was screaming.
how sams body fell plunging into the deep, cold, ocean water.
how his head never came back up.
and what he said before he fell.

i was still in shock. i hadn't registered any of it yet.

y/n was a reck. she was sobbing into my chest as i stroked her hair. i wish i could kiss her tears away.

minutes pass and her sobs slowly soften.

i hear a yell from behind us.
the ambulance and fire department are here.

but too late.

one of the medics look at me and i just shake my head.

a look of sorrow forms on their faces and they walk over to us, helping us away from the cliff.

they stand around for a while looking down where he fell, jotting things down, before they came over to me.

"so how did he fall?" she asked, like it was nothing. like some kid didn't just die. like it was just another friday night and she was asking what was for dinner.

i take a deep breath and look at my shaking hands, "he was just..he said..he tripped..." i pause finding the words, "...over a rock and fell...he couldn't hold on for longer."

"he wouldn't let us grab him!" y/n cuts in, her sobs grow harder again.
i pull her into a hug rubbing her back and assure her that it will be okay, but we both know that in these situations it won't be okay.

* * *

one week later.

it's been a week since the accident, word has got around. it's been on the news, in the paper, even interviewers asking me about it.

but the thing is, i haven't seen y/n since. i've gone to her house like three times a day, she never answers.

sam was her best friend.
now he's gone.
i wish i could help but there's nothing i can do.

it was lunch at school and i was sitting outside with two of my good friends, harrison and kate.

"dude you really gotta eat some food." harrison says snapping me out of my daze.
"you haven't eaten all week."

"he's right," kate sighs, "here, have my apple." she reaches into her backpack and passes me an apple.

"thanks but i'm not hungry-"

"eat it." they both yell at the same time.

"fine, fine, fine."

i take slow bites of the apple.

we sit in silence for a while before these guys a few years older than us walk up to us.

"hey, you're ruel right? the famous dude?"

i roll my eyes.

"we heard what happened to your pal sam. that must of been a relief." one of the guys laugh.

"what did you say?" i stand up, they where older, but i was taller.

"i said it must of been a relief. he's dead. so what? sam. ew, he was so weird. he was such a gay-"

i punched him in the face. he grabs his nose, seeing the blood on his fingers. anger flashes over him and he lunges back and hits me across the cheek.

i grab my cheek and that's when i snap. i hit him again and again and again. the guy falls on the ground but quickly reacts and hits me hard too.

kate and harrison are trying to stop the fight but it was no use.

teachers and kids run in pulling us back but we keep squirming out and hitting each other.

a big crowd has gathered around us now. but that's the least i could care about. i'm in so much pain and the only thing that could ever stop it is y/n, but she's isolated herself from the world so i guess i'm in pain forever.

the principle then steps in and breaks up the fight.

yay, now i'm in deep trouble now.

* * *

y/n's pov:

it's been a week since it happened but i just can't get myself to leave. to go to school.

i don't want to walk down those hallways and see sam not there.
i don't want people to feel sympathy for me.
i don't want to feel this longing ache in my stomach every time i think of him.
i don't want any of this.

i just want sam back.

i cry into my pillow for the 1000th time that week.

i hear a knock on my front door, it was probably ruel again. i know i should talk to him or at least answer his texts but he's just going to tell me everything's okay when it's not. it never will be.

i wipe my eyes and ignore the knock on my door. i make my way to my piano and sit down. i write another song.

tears fall on the piano as i sing.
i don't care anymore.
my best friend is gone and there's nothing i can do.

i can't be happy without him.
i can't enjoy life without him.
i can't live without him.

a/n:

i'm sorry