Chapter 22

I had been home for a few days, I hadn’t seen anyone else. The news was out though, everyone knew I was alive and well. My friends had tried to come and see me but I just couldn’t bear to see them yet. I was still coping with the fact that I had died…and come back. I had gotten a second chance that I wasn’t sure I was worthy of. I also still had to come up with a plan to get rid of my grandmother for good. It was time she faced justice for all the pain and death she had caused, I just wish the burden could be on someone else’s shoulders.

            My dad had asked me if I wanted to go see Nate but I wasn’t ready, I don’t know if I would ever be ready… I felt like I had to let him go, let him be happy. I couldn’t make him happy, I was too screwed up. Besides with my crazy grandmother still lingering around he’d still be in danger and I couldn’t bear the thought of him being in danger again. He had almost died once at her hand and I had been able to barter my life for his but I didn’t think I would get so lucky a second time. Besides I had done something even better that time and gotten rid of an evil mate who had wanted to destroy so many lives.

            I was suddenly pulled out of my thoughts by the sound of the doorbell ringing over and over again. I ignored it and curled up in my bed just wanting to forget the world; I was trying to cope with everything and failing miserably. I heard a knock on my door and knew it would be one of my parents.

“I want to be alone!” I yelled at the door.

“Kylie please open the door.” My dad pleaded. I groaned but managed to roll off my bed and make my way to the door. I opened the door just a little so I could see his face.

“Yes dad?” I asked my voice letting him hear how tired and emotionally drained I was.

“Come downstairs for a second, please.” He said, the please more of a demand than a question. I let out a loud sigh but relented and swung the door open and followed him down the stairs.

            As I neared the bottom of the stairs I finally looked up and my heart stopped. I couldn’t move or breathe or think I was frozen. I wasn’t ready for this, I wasn’t ready for him…

I felt arms wrap around my body but I felt like I was underwater. My hearing was muffled and I couldn’t breathe. I was drowning and no one was noticing. I started panicking and started to claw my way to freedom but I couldn’t my body was trapped. I didn’t even realize I was sobbing and hyperventilating at the same time. I suddenly felt the arms release me and I fell to the floor and I just laid there not moving, it was easier not to try and move. My hearing was still muffled but I could faintly make out someone yelling my name.

He was yelling my  name…

            It felt like hours before I felt I was able to move my body and I had been moved from the floor to the couch. I closed my eyes and tried to get my breathing to settle but my heartbeats were erratic and not helping me feel calm.

“Kylie please look at me…” He pleaded and it broke my heart my already very broken heart.

I took a few deep breaths and then opened my eyes which met his very beautiful aqua blue eyes. They were mesmerizing and I felt my heart tug at the sight.

“I never thought I would see you again, let alone hold you in my arms again, and today I got to do both.” He managed to say before his voice cracked from emotion.

“I’m so sorry Nate…so very sorry.” I whispered.

“Sweetie don’t be sorry, you saved my life. You gave up everything for me when I didn’t deserve it, I don’t deserve you…” He said as he caressed my cheek and I couldn’t help but lean into it. Just the feel of his skin on mine was enough to make me want to jump into his arms and kiss him but I resisted because I couldn’t…we couldn’t.

“You broke my heart Nate, when I found you with her, you broke me.” I whispered and I managed to sit up so I could face him. He shook his head slightly as if he was trying to shake the memory.

“I’m sorry, so sorry. It was a mistake but she was my true mate and the pull was too much. I’ll regret it till the day I die, I regret it all.” He cried.

“What else is there to regret Nate, what haven’t you told me.” I demanded jumping to my feet.

            “Just let me explain.” He pleaded but I stepped back and put distance between us, I knew I was going to need it.

“Well go ahead and explain, I am one very attentive audience member.” I barked angrily.

“You need to let me explain everything before you react ok?” he pleaded.

“I will do whatever I damn well please Nathaniel.” I hissed.

“Fine.” He said and ran his hands threw his hair a couple times, something he did when he was nervous. I may not have known him for a long time but I knew him just like I thought he knew me, but I guess I was wrong very wrong.

            “After you…After you…” he kept stuttering.

“Died!” I spat angrily.

“…Yes… after you died I was broken I didn’t think I could go on. You might have been my chosen mate and it might had been in last chance efforts to save your life but I never regretted it. I never regretted you, us… I was broken, I needed you I needed my mate. With you gone I went to what I thought was the next best thing which turns out was the biggest mistake of my life.” He tried explaining but the pieces of my heart that were left intact after everything that has happened to me were slowly starting to shatter and it was painful, so painful.

“You went to her, you sought her out didn’t you. You deserted me and my memory for your mate, your true mate…” I cried.

“I thought you were gone! I thought I had lost you!” I pleaded but I just kept shaking my head I knew where this was going.

“Why did you come here!?” I screamed.

“I needed to see you, I had to, I need you.” He begged.

“You haven’t finished your story, I know there is more I can see it in your eyes… finish your story Nathaniel.” I said and he winced at my using his full name, I rarely used his full name.

“Please have faith in me, that’s all I’m asking of you.”

“Finish your story…” I pleaded with him, as much as I didn’t want to hear the rest I had to.

“Kylie I thought you were gone, I thought I had lost you forever. She was there and things went too far… I marked her, I marked her as my mate…” he said the last part coming out as more of a whisper but I heard it, I heard it all….