Ch. 23

Percy didn't know what to think.

To be honest, at first she felt proud- then nervous, being that they were to freeze to death if it didn't work. 

"Well? What is it?" Thor asked excitedly. Percy tried to gulp down her fear and answer, barely getting out. 

"Well, you see, me and my friend this one time needed to send a signal up to the people on our flying boat-"

"A flying what?" Natasha interrupted. 

"It's a normal thing where we come from," Thor responded. 

"-and we had to get a message up, right? So we flashed a light-"

"-using Morse code," Natasha finished, a look of awe and hope flashing across her stony expression. Then, looking back towards her fallen best friend, she seemed to deflate once more. "How would that even work? It's far too cloudy up here for them to ever notice, and even then they'd have to see us at the exact right time." She seemed to give up whatever trust she had, her face falling back into a depressive state. 

Percy felt like someone had dropped a small stone in her stomach. Despite the uneasy feeling, though, she put on a brave face. 

"There has to be something we're missing."

Natasha steadied her eyes onto the demigoddess in an almost analytical, intimidating way, but seemed a bit reassured on the girl's confidence. 

"What if I were to help?"

The two heroes retrained their eyes on their third person in their company, who was standing looking outside the window, his back facing them. The deep colors from the cabin combined with the bright white snow seemed to illuminate his red-draped figure, giving him a soft glow. Percy felt her breath catch despite the tense moment, before looking back at her other friend.

"And how would that be?" Natasha asked, now interested.

"Well, what I know is that they'd probably be near us around up. And while I'm too tired to fly around and search, if we could send a signal, with let's say," he turned around his axe grasped firmly in his right hand. "Lightning."

Natasha looked between the two of them, who had their eyes trained on one another one might disappear in a blink of an eye. Without success, she tried not to take too much notice at the small smile tugging at her lips, matching the one her friends also wore.

***

Tony trained his eyes on the sky in front of him, trying to ignore the pain in his side and the somber mood that draped the room. 

Despite the stone being such a small weight, it felt like cement in his pocket. He sighed heavily for the thousandth time in that moment, retraining his eyes on the path ahead. 

"Are we going to talk about this, Tony?" He turned around to see his friend leaning against the char next to him, his eyes barely different in color from the icy blue sky ahead of him. 

Tony stared ahead, his eye unwavering from where they were trained before. "What is there to talk about, Rogers?" Without looking,  he could already feel the exhausted stare from the super soldier's direction. "We just lost our only chance of defeating this, literal, person of darkness. And to top it off, we have to just pray that the team got back in time to defend the city."

Steve settled into the seat beside his friend. "With Nat? I have no doubt they beat him to submission already." Tony chuckled softly, yet held no humor in his tone. "Truth is, there's gotta be another way. When I was a young kid from Brooklyn-"

"I swear to God Captain America if this is another one of your old man stories-"

Steve smiled. "You really know me, huh?" Tony said nothing, which Steve huffed in understanding at. "Listen. I know that the odds are kinda against us right now, especially without the stone. But there's always another way- just like there was with Ultron. And not to mention Loki, too."