[6/??]

Kyoutani POV

Interhigh Preliminaries came faster than expected, seemed attending practice actually helped pass the time faster. We won all our games on the first and second days, pushing up to the finals. It wasn't surprising that we were up against Shiratorizawa. And when we lost to them, the captain was pissed, more so than normal. He stormed off as soon as the required niceties were done with, his sister running after him to try and talk with him.

I followed the team out of the gym to the locker rooms, pausing when I heard yelling coming from a side hallway in this large building. It sounded like the Oikawa twins. I hesitated a moment, debating if I should go see what was going on or not. But before I could think it through all the way, my feet took me down the hall and I came to a stop just as Tooru brought his hand down across his sister's face. She flinched and brought a hand up to her red cheek, looking up at her brother with tears starting to form in her eyes. "You really are a shitty person. I can't believe I shared a womb with you." Her voice was quiet and deathly calm even as it wavered with her effort to hold back tears. He attempted to reach for her shoulder and apologize, a look of horror on his face at what he'd just done to his sister.

(F/N) jerked away from him and ran right into me, not watching where she was going. I grabbed her arm on reflex to keep her from falling backwards from the impact and she looked up at me only for a second before yanking her arm away. She ran off down the hall crying and her brother approached me, trying to act intimidating. "You better not tell anybody what you saw, KyoKen-chan." I whipped my head around to look him in the eye with a searing glare. He visibly winced and backed up a step. "Even I'm not such a monster to hit a girl." I spat at him and turned to walk off after (F/N).

It was easy to find her. There was only one place she could have gone aside from the bathroom that I could actually check. The bus. And sure enough, my guess was right. She was on the bus, seated at the back with her legs pulled up to her chest, her face buried in her knees. Her body shook slightly with her quiet crying and I slowly walked over to her. I wasn't really sure what drove me to come and find her, I was no good at comforting people but hearing her cry pained my heart, making my chest feel tight and I found it harder to breathe. "Oikawa-senpai..." I called as I stood at the end of the seat, looking down at her and waiting for a response. She didn't look up at me. I watched as her shoulders tensed at my voice and she almost growled at me. "Don't call me that. I don't want to be reminded that he's my brother right now."

Her voice this time sounded tired and weak despite the mean growl she'd given me. "Can I sit here?" I asked her, unsure what to say that might make things better. I'd never dealt with crying girls before. "I guess." She huffed and scooted closer to the window to give me room to sit down next to her. We sat there in silence for nearly five minutes before she finally shifted to put her legs down and sit normally. She rubbed her eyes to dry them just as the rest of the team boarded the bus. Her brother only spared us a short glance before Iwaizumi whacked the back of his head and the two sat down near the front of the bus. Kindaichi and Kunimi sat in the seat in front of us, giving (F/N) concerned looks over the back of the seat but she didn't meet their eyes, staring ahead of herself at the material of the seat in front of us.

The bus ride back to the school was quieter than normal considering everything that happened. We were all a bit bummed we lost to Shiratorizawa but on top of that, everyone was just tired from a long and stressful game. (F/N) didn't talk to me the entire ride either, so I was stuck sitting there trying to figure out what to do or say with no help from her starting up a conversation. Only when the bus cleared out and I stood to leave as well did she finally speak up, grabbing the sleeve of my club jacket. I looked down at her a bit shocked but let her speak without interruption. "Thank you for sitting with me. Could I ask you a favor?" I nodded and she took a breath before speaking again, likely to steel herself for what she was about to ask me. And let me tell you, I was about as far from prepared as one could possibly get.

"Would it be alright if I stayed at your house for a few days? I don't want to be around that Shittykawa. And if Hajime finds out what happened he'll probably actually kill him. As much as I'd enjoy watching that, we can't risk him getting injured before Spring High." She gave a bit of an explanation, which did help calm my suddenly racing heart and thoughts. But I still was absolutely floored. She could ask anyone else on the team, Makki, Matsun, Kindaichi. Hell, even Kunimi and Watari would be better choices than me. They were all a lot nicer to her, a lot closer. Wasn't she actually friends with the rest of the team? "I guess. But why me?"

She was silent as she got up and allowed us to walk off the bus. I didn't like that she didn't answer me but I didn't want to push it either. I'd rather not have her mad at me if she was going to be staying at my house for a few days. "(F/N), come on, let's go home." Tooru called out to his sister and I jumped slightly when she suddenly slipped her hand in mine and pulled me a step forward to be beside her as she stared down her brother. "I'm going home with Kyoutani. See you later. Keep him in line Hajime!" (F/N) forced a chipper tone and a laugh as she turned and pulled me along with her in the direction of my home.

Reader POV

When we reached Kyoutani's house, I let go of his hand so he could open the door and let us in. I'd seen him text someone on the way with his free hand and I assumed it had been his mother to let her know I would be staying for a few days. "Oh (F/N)! Ken told me you'd be staying over for a few days. Do you have any extra clothes? You can borrow some of mine if you need to." His mother came rushing over to us the moment we set foot inside the house and Kyoutani closed the door. "Uh, if it wouldn't be too much trouble. Thank you." I said, unable to force the same chipper tone I had been when confronting Hajime and my brother back at the bus. I was just worn out physically and emotionally after everything that happened today. And his mother noticed it immediately.

She frowned a little and gently ushered me farther into the house. "Ken, dear, go set up the futon for your friend. And you, miss Oikawa are going to treat yourself to a nice hot bath until dinner is ready." She said, patting my shoulder as she guided me toward the upstairs bathroom. Once inside she hurried to get me a change of clothes and then left me to my own devices.