Chapter 41 ~ Butterfly Kisses and Snake Bites

Começar do início

"You know, the contents aren't going to change anytime soon." Mom says, and I glance over at her before pulling out a pitcher of blood.

Turning, I pour it into the first glass I see and down it straight down. "I know, can't blame a tribred for trying." Refilling it, I hop up onto the kitchen counter and stare at the glass in my hands.

The liquid starts to turn and change, forming into the shape of a human heart with Kyle's face in the middle of it. Shocked and confused, I drop the glass and it hits the floor, shattering into a million pieces and blood splatters all over the floor.

Mom looks at me shocked, and I look up at her. "I-I have to go." I dash out of the kitchen and up to my room in less then 5 seconds, closing the door and locking it behind me.

I take a few deep breaths, and turn around pulling my hair out of its ponytail. "You just have to make through today, and then everything will be fine." I say aloud, making the way over to my closet. Opening it up, all I see is bright and cheerful clothes, and it just makes me even sadder - and angrier to look at them and think of today.

After some rummaging, I manage to find a black dress that would be OK to wear to a wake. I couldn't help smirking at the idea of going to a vampire's wake. Normally, you would just burn the body and make up some excuse to why they aren't in New Orleans anymore. But Kyle was so involved in the community - supernatural and non-supernatural, that it was necessary to have a wake so that no questions would arise.

Its kinda pathetic, seeing as the only people that would be there would be supernatural creatures and humans with knowledge of the supernatural world. But, if my dad wanted it, then it would happen. One of the many perks of being king I suppose. 

I'm not sure if he came up with this idea for a fake funeral to help me get through his death, or to taunt me over the fact that he is dead. Either way, I couldn't weasel out of this one. I have to "make an appearance", as Uncle Elijah put it.

Walking over to the mirror I stare at the girls reflection, and look over the dress she's wearing, and how it made her look. I should feel like I'm looking at me, that that is me and who I am, but it doesn't feel like that. Technically, I'm only a little over two by now. But in appearance, personality, vocabulary and knowledge, I'm 16.

Shaking the thoughts from my head, I pick up a hair brush and start to brush my hair and apply some make-up. Just as I was finishing up, a brisk knock hits my door. I walk over and unlock it before opening it up.

Uncle Elijah stands on the other side, dressed in an identical black suit, white shirt, and black tie and black shoes that he wears every. Single. Day. "What now?" I ask in a muted tone, opening the door as I start to clean up my mess.

"Its time to leave, Adriana." He says in a gentle voice, and my body freezes up.

The blood in my body runs ice cold. "I don't want to go." I say in an even voice, picking up a photo of Kyle and I, staring at it with a blank expression.

"Adriana-" He starts, but I shake my head not letting him go on with what he wants to say.

I stay turned away from him, not wanting to look at his kind and loving face. "Its not for the reasons that you think either. It's not because I don't want to face the fact that he's... Its just that - that I don't see the point. I mean, he's a vampire! Vampire's aren't supposed to get wakes, and roses put on graves or tables, or have people crying over them!" Shaking my head slightly, there are tears shining in my eyes and I don't even bother to hide them. 

"Were just going to burn his body anyway, so what's the point in me-us doing  this thing? Is it to grieve in public? To cry and show everyone that I loved him and now he's dead? To make a point?" My voice is breaking in parts, but its filled with anger and frustration. Tear drops fall rapidly onto the glass, and I feel a hand on my shoulder.